Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: They dropped My PM 3520 on the motor

They dropped My PM 3520 on the motor

The movers dropped my lathe on the motor. The casing is bent with the screw mounts torn. I'm afraid the motor is terminal, AND the drive pulleys no longer lines up with the center pulleys. I don't know if it is just the motor that is killed or if the whole headstock is blown and I don't know anyone yet in the Daytona Beach Florida area who can tell me...

HELP! (please)
    Change One Thing

George,
    I'm sorry to hear about the accident (hopefully without injuries). If you can supply some pictures of the areas of concern, we might have a better idea. Without seeing it, I'd hate to hazard a guess. It could be a c-face mount that can be replaced or worse as you suggest.

Defintely let the movers know ASAP about the damages if they don't already know. Take pictures now so that you are ready when you need to file a claim for damages (if applicable). Don't take "almost good enough" for an answer from anyone. You paid good money for this lathe and it should be placed in service in the same shape.

Good luck,
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 07-07-2012 at 1:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Strauss View Post
    You paid good money for this lathe and it should be placed in service in the same shape.
    And likely paid good money to the movers too! They definitely need to resolve this one! I'd not only contact the movers - ASAP - but also PM. And then give the movers the PM number.

Sorry to hear this story, George. I am not surprised the pullies no longer line up. The motor is heavy and probably got knocked out of position. I'm sure the moving company is insured and will come through. I am also sure you will do the proper due diligence and make sure someone who knows the equipment makes sure any fix brings it back to perfect. Meanwhile, maybe you should treat this like a wrecked car. Get it repaired and sell it. A nice new Oneway or an American Beauty will make you feel much better. Good luck.
    faust

You were insured----let them buy you a new one. No reason for you to fix and fight to get things back to right. This is why you hire movers so it gets done right.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

That sure is a bummer! Best of luck getting it resolved with the mover.
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

The movers would be buying me a new lathe. It might be repairable but problems might show up later.
    Dislocated New Mexican.
    Critiques always welcome.

I only hired the movers to unload the truck. They are a SMALL local company and they have already denied me any compensation... I may have to sue to get anywhere. Meanwhile, I'm without a lathe.
    Change One Thing

A nicely written letter from a lawyer just might do the trick. Good luck with this...I hate it for you.

Check with your agent. There might be something in your homeowners policy.

The NY homeowners already rejected me and the FL policy has a $2500.00 deductible.
    One more step before the lawyer. Its in their contract.
    Change One Thing

Quote Originally Posted by George Guadiane View Post
    I only hired the movers to unload the truck. They are a SMALL local company and they have already denied me any compensation... I may have to sue to get anywhere. Meanwhile, I'm without a lathe.
    I would contact a lawyer---- they are a busniess----Pro's--- they are responsible.
    I bet they won't even give you the name of their insurance company.
    You could contact them and file a claim yourself.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

George,
    I looked at my 3520 after reading your sad plight. I would guess the hit on the end of the motor forced the armature forward into the head stock. Take lots of pictures then pull the motor, examine the castings for damage then find a motor shop to advise you. Ask them to check the Variable speed drive while you are there.Collecting a judgement against someone is probably easy. Getting $$ from them is something else. I suggest you call the Better Business Bureau as well as the Chamber of Commerce. Uninsured movers should not be allowed to exist as a business.

George....I would explain to them a new lathe would be cheaper than the lawyers fees and a big dent in the company's public image. Depending on the state laws, your only option might be small claims court.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I'm with Gary M unless you hired them off the street corner if they don't have insurance send them to jail.Thats a ruin lathe new head stock is the only way to go and they would pay or go to jail if it was me.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.