Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putting down an injured animal?

Putting down an injured animal?

Ever but down a severly injured animal yourself and then wish you had taken a different action?
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Nope not yet, although I pretty much always wish I didn't have to do it. There are a couple of times I regret not having made the call earlier to alleviate unnecessary suffering. Its never an easy call and no one enjoys doing it, but sometimes its just the right thing.

Have also gone through a few pretty heroic saves (on the vets part generally, not mine) which feel pretty good when they turn out (I have two little buddies in that class sitting in the room with me now).

Yes but life goes on...
    Go adopt the second shop buddy
    "People that say money can't buy happiness have apparently never paid an adoption fee.
    Carpe Lignum

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    Yes but life goes on...
    Go adopt the second shop buddy
    "People that say money can't buy happiness have apparently never paid an adoption fee.
    I got a second shop buddy in the fall. What I was refereing to was a kitten that wondered up last night, its leg was broken with the bone stickin out, it clearly had been attacked a week ago, bone was out you could see its ribs in the wound, and you could see it was infected. It was less than 3 months old, still fit in your hand. But clearly small enough that the vet wouldve put it down, and it was too late at night for an animal hospital,,, it was clearly in pain,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Nope not yet, although I pretty much always wish I didn't have to do it. There are a couple of times I regret not having made the call earlier to alleviate unnecessary suffering. Its never an easy call and no one enjoys doing it, but sometimes its just the right thing.

Not an easy call at all, and I dont think I will ever forget it looking me in the eye down that barrel,,,,,,

We have lots of deer on the farm and invariably one gets hit by a car and is lying injured.
    I've gotten used to shooting them with a shotgun to the head to alleviate their suffering.
    That's pretty much a way of life around here.
    In the city they would probably take the same deer to a veterinarian,
    spend thousands nursing it back to life,
    give it a cute name,
    and do a news story about it.

It is never an easy thing to do with any animal. However, with a wild animal, once they are injured there is very little chance that they will make it. I try to make it quick and tell myself I did the right thing.

With ones pets, it is very difficult and heart wrenching decision. Usually with a vets help, you can make the right one but it will hurt awhile.

It was a stray cat, so at least it wasn't someones pet,,, but i hope i never have to do that again.
    Kevin, kinda strange thing is, I'll hunt and target shoot, never felt bad hunting cause you dont really think much of it and you eat it,,,, there was just something about the fact of a kitten and that face staring up the barrel of the shotgun....

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    What I was refereing to was a kitten that wondered up last night, its leg was broken with the bone stickin out, it clearly had been attacked a week ago, bone was out you could see its ribs in the wound, and you could see it was infected. It was less than 3 months old, still fit in your hand. But clearly small enough that the vet wouldve put it down, and it was too late at night for an animal hospital,,, it was clearly in pain,,,
    You made the right call. If the bone was out there was a really high probability of a bone infection which is really really hard/low probability to recover from and if the ribs were poking out.. well... after that long the little fellow was pretty much a goner so making it quick was good.

I put down a kitten that had been kicked by a horse over 20 years ago and I still remember it. He wasn't going to survive and it was the right thing, still didn't make it easy.

Had a co-worker late coming to work one day... Seems his cat and a possum got into a fight in the back yard..... Somehow he got the possum into a box and took it to the vet in the middle of the night... They saved it and had it in a cage for a few weeks with follow up vet visits..... Set it free one night.... Two days later it was in the middle of the road & no vet could save it then... This was in the late eighties and vet bill was not cheap.... Will never forget that incident.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    You made the right call.
    Thats what I was hoping to hear, I was afraid i might get attack by some animals right people, but I just wanted to know that what I did was right.

Blog Entries
    Curtis, I'm a veterinarian and you can't save them all. When you think about the pain the little guy was in, you made the right call.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    Thats what I was hoping to hear, I was afraid i might get attack by some animals right people, but I just wanted to know that what I did was right.
    Nope, you made the right call.

Agreed, right, no make that the only call. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

In such a circumstance I wouldn't have hesitated. It was the only thing you could have done. I still regret some of the methods I've employed when putting down animals but not the fact that it needed to be done.