Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a chance to buy a Grizzly G1495

I have a chance to buy a Grizzly G1495

Used Grizzly really good condition for 450.00 Is that a good deal....New to turning so it would be try it out to see if I can do it...

Instead of the often frustrating method of the "Self-taught" system, find a club in your area and save the holes in your sheetrock and lots of wasted blanks. They can get you started right!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Unfortunately for stuff like that I live on an Island & the last boat back is 5:00....so that puts a dampener on a lot of stuff like that...

4. The G1495 sells for $995.00 new.....only 3/4 hp and has 7 speeds the lowest being 500rpm which is a little high for out of balance bowl blanks............if you are careful to try to cut your blanks out where balanced, it should not be an issue. This is a lathe more designed for spindle work, but bowls can be made on it.

Not a bad price for a lathe in good condition, but not a higher end lathe.........you will likely upgrade in the next two years if you get bitten by the turning bug...............for a starter lathe...........pretty good deal. I have the G0698 and it has been a fine lathe for me!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

if bowls are what you want to do save yourself the inevitable upgrade next month and pass on that lathe

500 rpm slowest speed is definitely too fast and the Reeves Drive on that thing will likely not get down to 500 rpm except with a brand new belt and then it will likely begin creeping up with use (its also under powered)
    i would advise spending the money on a lathe better suited for bowls (slower the low end rpm's the better) ............ you will be alot happier

been there, done that learned my lesson

Funny, the responses. I have had this lathe for 25 yrs. it has been a workhorse & never given me a bit of trouble , and I used it everyday. BUT if I were to buy a lathe as a beginner today it would be the Delta 46-460.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Ditto what the others have said. I agree with Don. I did the same thing. I bought a Craftsman lathe to see it I would like it. So I got a better lathe. If I would have spent the money in the first place on a better lathe I would have saved and been better off. I would look at a Jet 1220 VS, Rikon or a Delta 46-460. All will turn a 12" bowl plus about anything else from pens to vases. Then if you fall in love with turning like most of do then buy your big lathe such as a Nova 1624-44, Jet 1642, etc. Keep the smaller lathe for turning pens, ornaments, etc.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

+1 on the 46-460 as a beginning lathe or if you want to start big right away then the Jet 1642 or Griz G0733(follow on to the G0698)

"The best things in life are not things."

I have been closely involved with a friends acquisition of a G1495 for $500. He's had it about 2 months and is happy with it.

As has been noted the low end speed is somewhat of an issue. He has actually brought a couple very rough blanks to my shop to round them and get them more balanced. He doesn't think that's a big deal because he like to come to my shop and dig in my firewood pile.

Think about the spindle size and threads per inch. I think it's 1" x 12tpi. Most upper end lathes (except Oneway which is metric) are 1 1/4" x 8tpi. Most mini's are 1" x 8tpi. Grizzly sells some pretty good chucks that fit the 1495, but you probably couldn't use them if you decided to upgrade. This is a bit of a trap no matter where you start and end up. Just something to keep in mind.

My friend has no problem with the power of the motor. It seems way more powerful than a 3/4 horse.

He works some pretty large and rough wood and he is a bit unhappy with the banjo (thing that hold the tool rest). It is a little wimpy. Doesn't come out far enough for some of his larger pieces. He's looking for a more hefty banjo.

Personally I agree with Michelle about the Delta 46-460. Nice little lathe for around $600 not including the stand.

Good luck with the frustrating decision.
    Chuck Jones

Went to look at the lathe & bought it for 400.00.....It comes with a 3 jaw chuck that I don't see at the Grizzly site & 19 Robert Sorby turning tools all razor sharp. Some things were missing like the spur center, sanding attachments & face plate.....He made up some of his own face plates that he uses. Now I have to make room in my shop....Not going to be easy. Some storage cabinets will have to go & I'll have to move my table saw that the 52" rails. I guess we'll see what happens....I guess it's not a good Idea putting it in front of a window....May have to put some kinda wire mesh over it.....
    Last edited by Jay Jolliffe; 07-08-2012 at 4:20 PM.

Congratulations and good luck with the new lathe! With respect to lathe placement, I wouldn't be too concerned about the window if that is the easiest place to put it. I've thrown a few bowls, but never high and away. Even at high speeds, they generally have hit the bed first. YMMV, of course. Keep the big tablesaw nearby, it will be a good place to keep your lathe tools and roughouts!

12. Congrats Jay! On the community tab at the top of the page.....if you will click that and then groups, you will find the Grizzly Green Monster Group..........a community of Grizzly lathe owners, who give info about turning and Grizzly lathes in particular. Feel free to drop by, and join if you wish...........we currently have 42 members in the GGMG, and you can post pics and ask questions related to your lathe, etc.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thanks....I didn't even know that was there.....

Congrats Jay. Sounds like you got a good deal! I was at "Arts in the Park" in Belfast today. Three turners had booths set up. Something for you to shoot for next year!

I think there is one locally here for $100. I don't think the price of $450 is anything to go run to....
    I drink, therefore I am.