Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick Chainsaw Recommendation

I cut about 10 cords of firewood per year and I do it with a Stihl MS-361 with a 24" bar. It's big enough to get through the biggest hickory logs without any problem at all. I also use it for trimming branches, but if I had the $$$ I would get a lighter 16" saw.

People swear by certain brands, but I think how long a chain saw lasts has everything to do with how well you maintain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bourque View Post

People swear by certain brands, but I think how long a chain saw lasts has everything to do with how well you maintain it.
    I have always heard between Stihl and Husky buy the one with the best local dealer support, seems resonable and I follow a similar strategy with some of my other hobbies often pushing me to my "second choice", even so I have always been happy buying the dealer instead of the product.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I have always heard between Stihl and Husky buy the one with the best local dealer support, seems resonable and I follow a similar strategy with some of my other hobbies often pushing me to my "second choice", even so I have always been happy buying the dealer instead of the product.
    Thanks VH ...... It's a toss up really as far as the machine goes, I'd probably give the Stihl the nod if that was all I was considering. Our local Husky dealer is the tractor supply, I have no experience with them as far as warranty or simply repairs.

The Stihi dealer is a John Deere shop, they seem like a good bet.

Now I just have to decide on either the MR250 or the MR290

Thanks for your comments,
    Tim

Tractor supply does not sell the good Husqvarna saws, just the home line. If you want one that runs and is a lot less work to use buy a XP model. I have three in different sizes, but if I had to have just one I would pick my 357XP as an all around saw that can still cut some serious wood when needed. The Pro models are still made in country, Sweden I think, and the stuff at Tractor supply is mostly Chinese. Parts availability long term will be better for a pro model saw as well.

Me, I just never had very good luck with Stihl, always nagging little problems. The huskys run when I pick them up, thats all I ask. I also have a husky pole saw that works well. People say they [stihl]are good, but I figure that they just never owned a real Husky........

Larry
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 07-09-2012 at 7:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Even if it wasn't on your list I'd recommend the 290. It's all the saw you'll ever need for non-commercial use.
    +1

I used to have a Poulan Pro and I had the same restart problem. I gave it up and bought an MS 290 with a 20" bar almost two years ago, and I love it. Besides what I burn, we have a firewood ministry at church, so I cut wood all winter long. I clean and sharpen after every use. The only problem it has ever given me was "operator error" - the result of letting a neighbor run it while I drove a load of wood to the house.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    A dolmar 5100 or 5105 (whatever is the current model) is also a very good saw. It is just a tick more expensive than an MS 290, but it is a lighter saw with just as much power, and it is a professional saw instead of a midrange saw (though that will probably not make a difference if it isn't used hard).
    Worth the money for the Dolmar. The 5105 is the best 50cc-sized saw out there.

+1 on the Dolmar. My previous saw was a Husky 455 which was just okay.
    The Dolmar is a 7900,with an 18" bar - I don't get stuck (not often, anyway).

Cutting anything larger than what my 18" bar can handle indicates my need for an arborist.
    I managed a 39" diameter Beech (deadfall after Hurricane Irene) which I could section, but could not move.

Big bars are an invitation to kickback and getting stuck.
    I believe you should have so much horsepower as you're willing to lug around - and no more.

jim
    wpt, ma

I bought a Stihl 290 with 16" bar after Hurricane Irene knocked down trees in my yard in 2003. I mostly use it for the occassional downed tree and to cut up turning blanks. Plenty of power as I'm usually cutting oak or beech. It sometimes takes a few pulls to start but I figure it's because I only use it a couple times per year. I can't compare it to the 250. If I had to do a lot of limb trimming, I would get something lighter/smaller but this easily meets my needs. My Stihl dealer is only 5 miles away also.

The reason I went with the 290 was because my dealer didn't have the lower model in stock that I was looking at so I went with the up-sell. I think the quick-start feature was just coming out so that wasn't an option either at that time.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Blog Entries
    I've talked with some top chainsaw mechanics and they claim that the high ethanol gases absorb the moisture from the air extremely quickly (i.e. a few days in high humidity areas). You can either use Stabil Ethanol treatment (NOT normal Stabil!) -or- you can find a place that sells 100% gas. Note that "real gas" will cost $1-$2 more per gallon. The mechanics I've talked to recommend using the real gas if you're going to store it for any length of time. http://www.buyrealgas.com/ is a user-contributed site listing places to buy real gasoline. I've only had to do this with my small 2-cycle engines... the larger lawn engines (mower, etc.) don't have this issue.

I've had my Stihl 024 for 25 years and it still runs great. I get it tuned up every couple of years, but have never had a problem with it. Don't know anything about the newer saws, or what "easystart" is.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    I've talked with some top chainsaw mechanics and they claim that the high ethanol gases absorb the moisture from the air extremely quickly (i.e. a few days in high humidity areas). You can either use Stabil Ethanol treatment (NOT normal Stabil!) -or- you can find a place that sells 100% gas. Note that "real gas" will cost $1-$2 more per gallon. The mechanics I've talked to recommend using the real gas if you're going to store it for any length of time. http://www.buyrealgas.com/ is a user-contributed site listing places to buy real gasoline. I've only had to do this with my small 2-cycle engines... the larger lawn engines (mower, etc.) don't have this issue.
    You can buy premixed gas in a 32 oz can from Stihl or other sources that does not have ethanol in it. I use it in all my equipment except when I am going to use a lot of fuel, like cutting my winters wood. After I am done I will dump the pump gas and run some of the canned gas through it. Baileys sells it if you can't find it locally. Carbs don't need to be worked on every year, makes them run great, and is handy in the work truck.

Larry
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 07-10-2012 at 10:23 PM.

I have a station down the street that sells non-oxygenated fuel at the pumps for off-road use. It is generally about 30 cents more than regular unleaded. I've started using this in all my power equipment. I had a fuel leak on a Stihl trimmer that cost $70 to fix and I think it was partially related to ethanol in the gas. Buying gas from Stihl can't be cheap with shipping to the store and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    You can buy premixed gas in a 32 oz can from Stihl or other sources that does not have ethanol in it. I use it in all my equipment except when I am going to use a lot of fuel, like cutting my winters wood. After I am done I will dump the pump gas and run some of the canned gas through it. Baileys sells it if you can't find it locally. Carbs don't need to be worked on every year, makes them run great, and is handy in the work truck.

Larry
    For my very limited use, I also use the pre-mix stuff. I get it at O'reilly Auto Parts, Sears or Lowe's. Runs around $5 qt. Sounds expensive but I was afraid to use most of a gal of gas after a month or two when I was mixing it. I run it in my string trimmer, blower and Chainsaw from a down limb after a storm. The dry season has helped a lot but I am only on my 3rd qt of pre-mix. I feel it is good insurance. But again, only because I have limited use.

I thought this was a good video on Ethanol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX6CF...layer_embedded
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 07-11-2012 at 12:14 AM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I had a fuel leak on a Stihl trimmer that cost $70 to fix and I think it was partially related to ethanol in the gas.
    I just took my Stihl trimmer in because it was leaking gas, wouldn't run properly, etc. They replaced the carb for about $70 and told me it was because of the ethanol in the gas. My dealer had a bottle of fuel additive (don't have the brand name handy at the moment) that I bought that I just use for that gas can now. He said Stabil also makes an additive, just need to make sure it's for the ethanol.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Stihl will let you buy the premix stuff now and qualify for the extra warranty. I picked up a case and am switching to that for everything but when I'll be using a buch, like Larry said.

Marinas should have the non-ethanol stuff too, but are a pain. The blue Stbil is also supposed to be good. Using that in my mower, but gas doesn't sit in it as long. I think I'll try to shoot for getting stuff from the marina right before the end of the season for it.