Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Floor Epoxy

Thanks to all for a very relevant and useful post. I have a project coming up (2 even) requiring a floor coating. This thread has been very useful, and I look forward to seeing pictures of the process and finished results!!

I don't want the "chip" look. I want the solid color. The solid color is actually more durable than the chip option. The solid color comes with anti slip additive.

I'm so busy at work right now (good thing), but I managed to get a call into the epoxy dealer today. I ended up ordering the Ultra even though the Armor II was sufficient for my application. I just can't help myself, I often upgrade to the better/best product, and when I don't, too often I regret it. In this case it may be a waste of money. Cost me almost $500 more. But as the saying goes "quality is remembered long after cost is forgotten". Or put another way...
    “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

Ok, no more philosophizing. LOL

It will be about 2 weeks before it arrives, then, depending on work, it may be a while longer before I'm able to apply it. I will report back, I will likely start a new post as I think this should be in the workshop section not the tools section. I'll post a link in this thread so you guys can find it.
    Last edited by Todd Brewer; 07-18-2012 at 11:07 PM.

4. I haven't used U-Coat-It before but my brother has. I forget the brand that I used for my epoxy floor but it turned out pretty good. Wasn't to difficult either.

I bought the epoxy to cover up an ugly cracked and uneven concrete floor. I had hoped to repair and level the original concrete floor but it just wasn't going well. My original concrete floor was so cracked and uneven I had hoped to use the epoxy to cover the repairs. I rented a commercial concrete grinder to try and level out the high spots. But attempting to put down a level coat of an epoxy filler turned out to be too difficult. (Filler was for uneven areas and filling cracks prior to applying the epoxy). I ended up having the concrete torn out and replaced. Now that I have a new (for all intents and purposes) level concrete floor without a bunch of cracks I'm debating even coating it. High quality epoxies are said to be very durable but now I fear damaging the epoxy. I already bought the epoxy but may not use it. The new floor was installed in the fall and had to give the concrete plenty of time to cure and thoroughly dry before applying the epoxy. It's not warm enough in the winter, so will wait until spring and then decide.

Any stories about durability of your epoxy floors? Dropping tools, welding splatters etc?

I have done two different basement shops with Armorgarage (epoxy) and Rustoleum.....would never do Rustoleum again.... peeled up and flaked off.....probably due to moisture....the Armorgarage is a much higher quality product, but much more expensive, but it stayed put even under the same conditions.

7. I haven't heard much positive things from Rust-Oleum either. I wonder what kind of epoxy the industrial companies use? Here in Indianapolis we have only have a couple companies that I know of. I think http://www.surfacesolutionsusa.com/ is the main one. Has anyone ever just called an industrial company to see what they recommend? I have thought about doing that.
    Last edited by Gregg Williams; 02-21-2013 at 3:04 PM.