Thread: NIP a Save and a Finish

NIP a Save and a Finish

You may remember my 1st attempt with NIP http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...65#post1940665

Well I took the advice that some of you posted, turned down the rough edge and made it a bowl. It's been through numerous cycles of BLO soaking and drying. It could still use some wet sanding and I should have gone a little thinner, but it's still a neat looking piece of wood even without the overhead or backlighting. 6 1/4" x 2 3/4".
    PICT0008.JPGPICT0007-001.JPGPICT0004-001.JPG
    PICT0005-001.JPGPICT0006.JPG
    A few days later I took another piece of NIP and attempted another hf.
    I know the form may not be the most popular, but as I was roughing it down the a more typical form, I "saw" this shape and I went with it. It's not typical, but I think it's kinda cool and I'm happy with it.
    This one has also gone through numerous cycles of soaking and drying. It's 5" x 5 1/2".
    PICT0001.JPGPICT0002.JPG
    I don't really have a good setup to take decent pics to show the color and translucense, so I tried a few methods of getting some overhead light, none of which worked very well, so the pics are what they are.

This definitely won't be the last NIP I turn.

Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Kathy...you're ruined! I think when someone gets hooked on that NIP wood...it's like they'll always be looking for another place to pick up a turning fix of it. You'll start talking about personal stashes of the stuff...really, I've seen it happen.

Nicely done bowl and hf. I have only done one piece after figuring out the whole 'turn thin and soak in oil' routine. Came out ok...I may have to post it if I can get a decent pic of it.

Meanwhile, I'll have to go see what kind of stash I have for a next one...!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Glad you were able to save the first one Kathy! The second one is pretty cool!

Nice save, Kathy! I really like how they turned out. Great job once again!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

like 'em both
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

The bowl came out great. And the second piece is excellent. I happen to like these wide bottomed forms. (Please don't ask what a psychologist would say about that!) I wonder how it would work to make something like that into a small lamp with one of those low wattage bulbs in it. We have one of those Himalayan salt lamps (the round one) on our night stand and the light it produces seems to have that same quality. This wood looks so amazing when it's illuminated.
    David DeCristoforo

Really nice save Kathy. I like the second one to. I love turning NIP.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

This is 'prolly a dumb question but is NIP as soft as the other "regular" pines? Like white pine, scotch pine, etc.
    Seven days without turning makes one weak.

These are cool Kathy.... Are you planning to bring them to the next club meeting? I've never seen this wood in person - it looks amazing in pictures. Great save on the bowl.

Jon

I like them, especially the second one. I was thinking along the same lines as DD -- maybe use an LED fixture to avoid heat and make it a lamp. I bought a NIP hollow form at an art fair before I started turning, but I like the thin ones with the BLO soak much more!

I really like the first one. NIP is really nice to turn and the spalting only adds to the beauty.

12. I like both of them, K! Nice work again!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Kathy, They are both nice for NIP turnings, I have no experience with it but here in WI I use white pine and red pine that have the same spalting in them and they work just fine. I have 3 or 4 that are almost done that have been soaked and dried about 12 times each, I need to return a few of them down to about 1/16" to get the best glow out of the translucence.

Keep on them and you will be the female "Ron Kent",

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Thanks everyone! I guess you could say I like turning NIP . It's cool to pull it of of the soak bucket and hold it up to a light while it's still dripping wet, really shows what it can be like with enough cycles of soaking.

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    The bowl came out great. And the second piece is excellent. I happen to like these wide bottomed forms. (Please don't ask what a psychologist would say about that!) I wonder how it would work to make something like that into a small lamp with one of those low wattage bulbs in it. We have one of those Himalayan salt lamps (the round one) on our night stand and the light it produces seems to have that same quality. This wood looks so amazing when it's illuminated.
    I think that would be a really neat idea and may be something I try in the future. I know Keller was turning some NIP shades I think for his kitchen fixtures, would make a really cool accent light.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Leiter View Post
    This is 'prolly a dumb question but is NIP as soft as the other "regular" pines? Like white pine, scotch pine, etc.
    I've only turned one other type of pine (probably an elderica pine) that had been standing dead for a few years (long enough for the sap to dry) and it was soft, but not bad to turn. NIP is soft, but it turned pretty nice with sharp tools and a little soap and water sprayed on between cuts (really helped with tearout)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Prouty View Post
    These are cool Kathy.... Are you planning to bring them to the next club meeting? I've never seen this wood in person - it looks amazing in pictures. Great save on the bowl.

Jon
    If I make it to the meeting (and I hope I do), I'll definitely bring it. What's really surprising is how heavy all of that BLO it absorbs makes it. Both pieces are just over 1/2 lb (pretty heavy for pine).
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.