Thread: Carter Band Saw Blades.????

Carter Band Saw Blades.????

Are Carter bandsaw blades any good?? Who makes them?

Thanks,
    Rick Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Are Carter bandsaw blades any good?? Who makes them?

Thanks,
    Rick Potter
    In all honesty I have never "tracked" them to their source, though it shouldn't be hard. I have used a couple of them and thay are fine blades BUT my "rule" is if you are buying prepacked blades you are over-paying. Local industrial supply houses or the online welders of Lenox and Starrett (and other quality band stock) are almost always cheaper for the same or better quality blades. If you really want to know who makes them and don't get an answer I will do some snooping.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Visit Woodcraftbands web site or call them for your needed blades. Knowledgable people, good service and great prices. Remember with Carter, you are buying "brand recognition."

I have used these blades in the 1/4 width and have been pleased with their performance and smoothness. OK for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    In all honesty I have never "tracked" them to their source, though it shouldn't be hard. I have used a couple of them and thay are fine blades BUT my "rule" is if you are buying prepacked blades you are over-paying. Local industrial supply houses or the online welders of Lenox and Starrett (and other quality band stock) are almost always cheaper for the same or better quality blades. If you really want to know who makes them and don't get an answer I will do some snooping.

True, but knowing the quality of the Carters would help when/if one needs a blade in a hurry. Going to town is certainly faster than having one shipped.

Thanks guys,

The reason I was asking is because Peachtree has a two day sale on them. I think I will hold out for Starrett or Lennox.

Rick Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    True, but knowing the quality of the Carters would help when/if one needs a blade in a hurry. Going to town is certainly faster than having one shipped.
    That is a good point but also a good reason to track down a local industrial supply. The only negative I have for the Carter bands is just the price.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

That is a good point but also a good reason to track down a local industrial supply.

If you're lucky enough to have one locally.

In all honesty I have never "tracked" them to their source, though it shouldn't be hard.
    Guessing from the boxes they are packaged in, I'd guess Olson Saw. But that is just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Guessing from the boxes they are packaged in, I'd guess Olson Saw. But that is just a guess.

That is my first guess as well. but I haven't compared the specs to see if they line up with an Olson line or not.

I've had no luck with carter blades on my Rikon. I picked up a bunch on sale when I ordered carter micro adj guide set

The issues range from bad welds, clicking, jumping to just poor cuts and would not track no matter how the saw was adjusted. I switched over to wood-slicer band-saw blades and have had no issues at all. Carter did replace them without issue after sending them back for testing. but it was still a hassle that I would just prefer to avoid

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Trouard View Post
    I've had no luck with carter blades on my Rikon. I picked up a bunch on sale when I ordered carter micro adj guide set

The issues range from bad welds, clicking, jumping to just poor cuts and would not track no matter how the saw was adjusted. I switched over to wood-slicer band-saw blades and have had no issues at all. Carter did replace them without issue after sending them back for testing. but it was still a hassle that I would just prefer to avoid
    I assume you know Woodslicer blades are only to be used for straight cuts (no set). Also you can get the same blade stock from Iturra Designs in Jacksonville FL as the Blade Runner and Spectrum Supply as the Kerfmaster for less money than Highland.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    If you're lucky enough to have one locally.
    Most likely, Woodcraftbands in over night shipping to you. Maybe second day. I'm in central NC, and Woodcraft is close to Boone. Call them before noon, and most of the time UPS brings blades next day. Seriously look at bi-metal blades. I had one break last year (not at weld) which had been on saw since 2000. In addition to normal shop use, I cut over 3000 cars from 2 X 4's for Toys for Tots with that blade. Cut in an individual car is about eight inches. It's still sharp, only broken. I have thought about brazing it back together.