Thread: Mini Cole Jaws on a Jet 1014

Mini Cole Jaws on a Jet 1014

I have been contemplating getting some mini cole jaws to hold bowls while finishing the bottom. I have a home made doughnut chuck and when taking the last bowl out of the chuck I realized the chuck had left some small marks despite the thin layer of padding I put in. This convinced me it might be time for the cole jaws...or similar off brand holding jaws.

I am curious what diameter bowl I could hold? Currently my doughnut chuck can accomodate about 8 1/2 inches due to the bolts going around the outside.

What can I expect with mini cole jaws?

Also, for those that have them, are you satisfied with their performance?

Note: Vacuum chuck is not in the budget....larger lather first, then toys later.
    Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.
    1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

Why not make a longworth chuck, much cheaper and works just as good.
    Wally

I have the OneWay type of Cole jaws. They work ok but I think it best to use the tail stock with it. Some shapes won't fit. I use a doughnut chuck a lot and I have the Hold Fast vacuum thing and I use the tail stock on it. Sometimes I use a jam chuck. Guess I use whatever I think will work the best. I glue some thin foam strips to my doughnut chuck to keep it from making marks on the bowl.
    Fred

The cole jaws work best when holding the outside of the bowls since they usually have some taper inside, and you will probably be limited to about same as the donut chuck, but the cole jaws usually don't get that big on the smaller chucks. I am going with a jam chuck for almost all my tenon removals lately and liking it better than using a donut chuck or cole jaws. I did get a drive adapter to fit my live center and that should help me line up my donut chuck if I want to use it. I am limited to 15" on my donut (only had 16" plywood when I made it) and wish I had one made from 20" plywood for my Powermatic 3520B, but I'm too lazy to make another.

I tried the cole jaws on my Jet and sold them. I made a donut chuck and never looked back. Simple to make and use.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

About 8" depending on the lip...have 'em and they don't get a lot of use.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I have both the mini cole jaws and the standard cole jaws. The standard jaws will hold a bowl on the outside up to 9" diameter, the mini jaws are probably in the 6" range, maybe a tad bigger. They've worked fine for me for bowls in that range, always use the tailstock for the majority, then it can be removed to clean up the little nub that is left. Watch the speed and slow it down even more when the tailstock is removed.
    I haven't used mine in a while since I do alot of bowls that are too large for either set, and I've got other jaws on my chucks now and too lazy to change them out. I just use a jam chuck with the tailstock for support and some double sided tape will hold it well enough to clean up the nub at a slower speed and very light cuts.
    One of the advantages of a jam chuck is that it is not affected by any movement/warpage of the bowl. If there is much warpage at all, I think you lose alot of safety factor with cole jaws (much easier for it to pop off with fewer point of contact.
    Last edited by Kathy Marshall; 07-10-2012 at 11:13 PM. Reason: more info
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Thanks everyone! Sounds like I have my answer....probably best to use my funds elsewhere.
    Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

I'd make a Longworth chuck. In fact, before I bought my 1642, that's exactly what I did for my 1014. I think I might still have a couple of those cutouts if you're interested.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post
    I'd make a Longworth chuck. In fact, before I bought my 1642, that's exactly what I did for my 1014. I think I might still have a couple of those cutouts if you're interested.
    Thanks Jim! Sent you a PM.