Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a Dado blade recomendation...

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    staying around $100 would be good
    http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW7670-...ds=dewalt+dado

I have this one; got it from Woodcraft a few years ago. Smooth bottoms with sharp corners compared the the Freud I had used before. Easy to use too.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Here is the Oshlun Dado. Never used it, but did provide a link to someone who mentioned it in a previous post in this thread.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012YF25Q

+2 ...this is the best bang for the buck in the $100 range IMHO. Great blade, nice case, nice shim stock.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

AT the $100 range the Dewalt or Freud 208 would be my choice.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Here in shop, I have Freud SD-208, Freud 8" Safety Dado, Freud Dial a Width and Forrest Dado King. The 208 gets the most use. Lowes is currently getting rid of the CMT 8" set, which is almost if not identical to the Freud SD-208. Prices are down to about $40 now. In addition to Onsruds, the DeWalt for about $100 gets great reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Here in shop, I have Freud SD-208, Freud 8" Safety Dado, Freud Dial a Width and Forrest Dado King. The 208 gets the most use. Lowes is currently getting rid of the CMT 8" set, which is almost if not identical to the Freud SD-208. Prices are down to about $40 now. In addition to Onsruds, the DeWalt for about $100 gets great reviews.
    If your local Lowes has the CMT even close to $40 I would get it, it looks exactly like the 208 even in the same carrier, just black insted of Freud red.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I have an FS Tools set, excellent.................Regards, Rod.

I have the Oshlun 6" Dado (1.5HP saw) and it does a great job, flat bottoms, very clean cuts, super adjustable with the chippers and shims. I am very happy with this set. Got it at Rockler a few years ago, I was ready to spring for the Freud, but am happy I got this one. I would assume the 8" would be about the same...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

OK, is there any difference in these two dados, besides the width?

Freud SD506 6-Inch Super Dado Set with Anti-Kickback Design http://www.amazon.com/Freud-SD506-6-...dado+blade+set

Freud SD508 Super Dado 8-Inch Stack Dado http://www.amazon.com/Freud-SD508-Su...dado+blade+set

And, assuming my machine can turn the 8", what would you recommend? Too many choices, not enough brain bites.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Mark W Pugh; 07-16-2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Not enough research on my part.

I've got the 10" Forrest dado king. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    OK, is there any difference in these two dados, besides the width?

Freud SD506 6-Inch Super Dado Set with Anti-Kickback Design http://www.amazon.com/Freud-SD506-6-...dado+blade+set

Freud SD508 Super Dado 8-Inch Stack Dado http://www.amazon.com/Freud-SD508-Su...dado+blade+set

And, assuming my machine can turn the 8", what would you recommend? Too many choices, not enough brain bites.

Thanks.
    In that price range I'd go with neither....the Infinity Dadonator offers a great design with similar precision machining and more teeth on the chippers. It's a superb set. I'd go with the 8" if your saw will handle it, and the $20 doesn't pinch. Ya never know when the extra 2" will come in handy.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    .... I'd go with the 8" if your saw will handle it, and the $20 doesn't pinch. Ya never know when the extra 2" will come in handy.
    OK, last question. I have an older Craftsman 113 series saw. It has a 2 hp motor, I'm assuming it will handle an 8" dado. Thoughts? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    If your local Lowes has the CMT even close to $40 I would get it, it looks exactly like the 208 even in the same carrier, just black insted of Freud red.
    Some of the Lowes stores now have the CMT sets marked down to $15.00.

I'm going to Lowe's tomorrow. If I see CMT sets for $15 I'm buying every one they have. That said, I read reviews of both the DeWalt and Oshlun and people really seem to like them. So, for under $100, they seem to be a good value.