Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I care for this vase?

How do I care for this vase?

I purchased this vase from my great uncle's estate and am looking for advice on what to do to keep the wood from drying out and breaking. My aunt said Hillard rubbed something with gold in the title on it. The vase is made with thirteen different kinds of wood and almost 8000 individual pieces.IMG_0067.jpg
    Last edited by Robert Jackson 1436; 07-11-2012 at 4:26 PM.

I don't know what it is finished with but even pure lemon oil will keep the wood moist without building on the surface. I have a large wooden piece I built 30 years ago and finished with one coat of pure tung oil. Once a year my wife rubs a light coat of lemon oil on it. It shown no signs of age.

Robert, welcome to the Creek! Honestly, I'm not quite sure how to care for that. I do have some questions for you. First, is the picture deceiving or is that in the back of a truck and stands about 5 feet tall?!?!?! Second, your location (what state/part of the country) might help for those in the know to answer you. So, where are you? And my personal suggestion is for you to possibly contact a professional, maybe a couple and get estimates from them. Maybe also ask a credible museum on what to do. That looks like it might have a little value...
    I drink, therefore I am.

This is a toally awesome, astounding segmented piece. the designs are FANTASTIC! it has no finish, like varnish, poly or such? it really should have a good vapor barrier. the reason is all the woods will absorb moisture at different rates & expand & contract differently at different times.If you can avoid that you are ahead. if you don't feel capable of doing it yourself, then poly or varnish to a thin wiping thickness and wipe on many little coats. Keep it in a very clean area as you put on tiny finish coats
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Holy moley. Nice first post. I will let one of the segment guys reply. That little photo fooled me too. It looked like it was in a box until I clicked on the photo. Not a box but a panel truck. It's a big'un.
    Deane
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

I bet it was Scott's liquid gold. Never used it myself, so I can't tell you if it would do the job. That piece is wonderful!
    Maria
    A woodchick can chuck wood

Bill Wyko might be a good person to check with. He's here on the Creek (look through the members list). He does INCREDIBLE segmented pieces, and would likely know what to do.
    I drink, therefore I am.

WOW, that is huge! Im more interested in who made it and what did they turn it on, than how to take care of it,,,
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

I have a couple of friends (old Timers) that rave about Scotts Liquid Gold, but I have no personal experience with the product. http://www.scottsliquidgold.com/scotts-liquid-gold/ The vase reminds me of Ray Allen who passed away a few years ago. His work is very collectable. Your segmented vase is very nice and probably represents over 200 hours of labor, so proceed with caution. Sorry I can’t be more help.
    Joe
    You might check kencowell.com he does show quality segmented vases. He has been using waterlox original for the finish.

The wood doesn't need anything to keep it from drying out. Wood will eventually reach equilibrium with it's environment regardless of what you put on it. It will absorb and desorb moisture depending on the relative humidity. That's why valuable antique furniture in museums is kept in humidity-controlled rooms.

Finishes are used to enhance the appearance or to protect it from wear, not to keep it from drying. The best thing you can do is put it in a particular place and try to prevent large humidity swings...which means a heated/air conditioned, modern home.

The need to "replenish the wood's natural oils" is a myth propagated by the companies that make products like Scott's Liquid Gold, Pledge, etc.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

The small wedges and Amerind images remind me of Curt Theobald's work. Malcom Tibbetts is sometimes on this forum and might chime in. You could check with either of them for insights into care and specific value of the piece.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I don't know how to catre for it, but it looks like a big Ray Allen piece to me as well. Be very careful because it probably has a very significant value.

A stable humidity is one of the most important things you can do for it.
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 07-13-2012 at 12:45 PM.

That's a beauty - did your uncle make it, or acquire it? A turning like that should surely have a name on the bottom - is it someone we know?
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

I agree with Dick S.-that could easily be a very valuable Ray Allen piece. He made some large vessels. He passed away several years ago. Dale Nish wrote a book about him. Is it signed or numbered on the bottom? Google his name and see what you can find out. I would not do anything to this without consulting some experts like Malcolm Tibbets or Dale Nish. Maybe even some museums as has already been mentioned. You might also consider getting it appraised for insurance purposes. That is one fantastic vessel! Lucky you.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

i am curious as well as to the size of the piece and who made it

wow it is impressive