Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new guy from Buffalo

Paul,

That is sure a good looking table. I wish I had room in my kitchen for a table that size. A dining room table is on my list....

Sam

2. HI Paul,
    I too reside in Buffalo (Hamburg) and have been trying to find a new hardwood dealer. I got the chance to meet Dave from Buffalo Forest Products today and he seamed nice and I am planning on doing some business with him. I have also purchased from thruway plywood and Advantage trim and lumber. Who do you recommend for Domestic hardwood in WNY?

HI Mike, Nice to meet someone in the area. Most of what I have used I bought from the portville forest auction a couple years ago and have just recently gone through it. I have just started to look myself. I still have a fair amount of Maple and Cherry but have a project for a friend coming that would take me about 200 bf of Pine. Not sure if you have been to the portville forest auction but I think they may have closed up shop I tried calling and the number is disconnected. I have pretty much been searching craigslist trying to find a good deal. I got a guy quoting me now. I did purchase some oak from Thruways hardwood and plywood my brothers friend worked there at the time the quality of the wood was great. never dealt with BFP before did you go to there shop or just speak with Dave? How was there pricing? If I run across anything Ill drop you a line. Im always looking.

nice, sturdy looking table!

Thanks Sam and Frank. My wife was happy with it so I'm happy to. Builging the frame was actually easy. Flattening the top was tough. I could of done a better job prepping and glueing the top. Needless to say a lot of marking and sanding. In retropect I think it would have been a better idea to use a handplane to knock down the high spots then sand to finish. But nothings worth doing if I don't learn something doing it.

Hello Buffalo woodworkers; I'm up in Lewiston. As you know, not only are the wings great in Buffalo, but so is the Beef on Weck so, you out-of-towners, be sure to try both when you visit/pass thru. Anyway, I mill most of my lumber (fun, but hard work), but occassionally have to buy wood, too. There's a guy who advertises on Craigslist in Forestville. Can't remember his name at the moment, and I have never met him actually. But I've corresponded with him and some friends have bought from him and said it was a good deal and he was good to work with. He has all kinds of woods at really good prices, some KD some AD, and you can pick through it from what I understand.

John

Hi John, Nice to meet another woodworker from the area. If you run across that guys ad if you could please pass it on. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sikorski View Post
    Hi John, Nice to meet another woodworker from the area. If you run across that guys ad if you could please pass it on. Thanks
    Paul, here's the last ad. I saw from him. You should be able to send him an E-mail and ask if he has what you're looking for.

John

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/boa/3084219400.html

Paul, I went to BFP warehouse, nice place and even nicer people, but they are expensive, actually about a dollar more a b/f than Advantage on the qtr. sawn oak I need. If you are ever in need of any plywood I highly recommend DM plywood on Seneca st.

John, thanks for the lead on the guy in Forestville I am going to give him a call.