Thread: Ambrosia maple & Mahogany Boxes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ambrosia maple & Mahogany Boxes

Here are some photos I just took of (2) boxes I turned this past weekend. I'm sort of proud of the fact that I didn't give up on boxes. Even after I blew up (3) right in a row!

While turning these last two, I had an epiphany of sorts. I realized that I needed to modify the sequence in which I was turning the individual features, as well as NOT attempting to use a skew until I feel a lot more confident with that tool! I think (2) of those failures were from skew related catches.

The box on the left is Ambrosia Maple with a walnut finial. The box on the right is Mahogany with a Zircote finial. This time I made the finials much more delicate that my last attempt. I was also going for more of a "hollow form" appearance than your typical box shape.

The Ambrosia Maple box is 6 1/2" tall (from base to tip of finial), and 3 1/2" in diameter (at it's widest). The finial is about 1 1/2" tall, while the base is approximately 1" in diameter. The Mahogany box is 6" tall (from base to tip of finial), and 3 1/2" in diameter. The finial is about 1 1/2" tall, while the base is approximately 1 3/4" in diameter. The wall thickness on both boxes is about 1/4".

Both boxes were sanded to 12000 grit (micro mesh), and given several coats of PSI's Friction lacquer sealer. Afterwords, they were buffed with white diamond and given a coat of Renaissance wax.

Of the two, I am much happier with the shape of the Ambrosia maple box. I attribute that fact to my ability to alter the sequence of turning to more suit the design.

Thank for viewing
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dominic Greco