Thread: Grizzly Lathe Question

Grizzly Lathe Question

I am trying to find out the dimension of the tool rest post used on the Grizzly G1067Z or there new G0584 wood lathes. Does it use 1" tool rest posts and what is the dimension of the post and hole in/on the tool rest extension?

Thanks for the info
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Dick, I have the G1495 and it uses the same tool rest setup as the two you mentioned. The post is 3/4"x2 1/2". The extension fits in the tool rest body with the same sized post and hole on the other end.
    I have a problem with the system, but I didn't do enough research before I bought. In my opinion the lathe is not designed to do bowls, at least not over the ways. The tool rest body only allows the tool rest to be a little over 4" from the center, meaning you can't do a bowl bigger than about 8". The extension should solve the problem, but I broke three of them at the post. Now, I ended up drilling out the post on the extension and replaced it with steel. This holds up to the pressure, however due to the tool rest body being so light duty, it doesn't stay good and firm. If I am at the far left end of the tool rest, the whole thing bounces. The reason is that at the far left of the tool rest, I am about 15" fron where the extension goes into the body. So that kind of tells you why three cast iron broke and the steel one bounces.
    Delta make a toolrest body that fits these lathes and is long enough to put the tool rest 7" from center for the 14" swing.

Ernie

Thanks Ernie, I guess I will pass on it then, 3/4" does me no good for all my 1" posts I have obtained. So maybe I will just get the Delta tool rest base because I think it has an offset where the tool rest goes. The Jet base I got is straight and will not allow getting close to the work without it rubbing the base. I have an old 1936-1943 Delta/Rockwell lathe that I am trying to find new parts to fit. That is why I wanted the extension to get up close to the work. Oh well back to the drawing board.

Thanks again.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Ernie,
    I too have broken several extention rests at the post. Would you be so kind as to supply part numbers for the Delta parts you used for replacement?

Buying the G1067 was not one of my better choices. I liked the rotating head and the quick change speed. But, I failed to see some of the weaker points. One being the above. The other is the Grizz lathes have a 1"X12tpi spindle. Many accessory manufacturers do not make parts with that thread.

Thomas, I fixed my extensions from Grizzly with a steel rod in place of the iron rod, so I haven't bought the delta replacement yet. but here is the information.

packardwoodworks.com; lathe accessories; delta tool rest base; #1146-707; $72.95

You will have to buy new tool-rests as well, because it takes a 1" shank where our Grizzly's are 3/4". You may be able to purchase this through Delta parts dept. for a little less. Seems like I found that out, but I didn't find exactly how long it is, making sure I didn't run into the same problem. I'm pretty sure though that it isn't short like the grizz.

P.S. Write a note to the Grizzly customer service about it. I did, because I can see where it is potentially hazardous when it breaks off like that.

Ernie