I picked up a Morris chair for $25 last week. I'm usually not that lucky. It is missing all the hardware and cushions, and some previous owner dripped glue all over it trying to repair it at some point. It is all quarter sawn white oak under all that filth. It is not Stickley, but I have no idea who made it. There are no markings whatsoever. It was assembled with hide glue--I know because I've taken the whole thing apart in order to clean it up. I don't think it is particularly valuable, but it seems pretty old and professionally built. The mortises on the back rest are round, as are the tenons. The mortises on the stretchers are square, but were obviously done by machine, as there are the tell-tale round marks in the bottom from either a drill press or a mortising machine. I was wondering if anyone had any information as to what sort of machines were available from 1900-1920 or so? Is that sort of joinery too new? The wood looks old, but how old? It could be from the 1970s, and I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Anyone have any ideas?
july13 292b.jpg