Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

16 July 2012

Good Morning Everyone,
    This was a really good weekend for me. I was able to get in the shop and do some woodworking for the first time in a very long time. It was a mixed blessing for me as I've gotten rusty on my ww'ing skills and my machines thought I had lost my mind because I was actually cleaning the up, turning them on, and milling wood with them. They just weren't used to the use because I haven't been out there to do any real ww'ing in a very long time. It did feel good and I'm truly glad that the temps were in the lower 90's during the hottest part of the day which made it easier for me to work out there. The LOML came out and helped cleanup and organize my shop while I worked on our new aquarium stand. I hope to have the stand finished by the end of this week.

We still need rain....so if you have any you can spare? Please send it my way.

Well, that's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

It was raining quite a bit last week, which thankfully kept the temps low this weekend. At least low for Coastal Texas in July that is... So I got the chance to go to the breaker panel, flip off the required breakers, and then swap out my original almond light switches and sockets that have been living behind while cover plates for the last decade. I upgraded to Decora fixtures, the switches were all illiminated switches. I only got 4 switches and 4 sockets swapped out as I was doing the ones on the walls that have already been painted, but they look fantastic. It's nice being able to see the switches at 2:00 A.M.!

I am still more or less recovering from pnuemonia, feeling a lot better, but still have a little tickle every now and then that starts a coughing fit. I figured staying out of the shop was the safest bet for me this weekend...

Spent some quality time with LOML just watching some movies on the TV, some On Demand stuff she has been wanting to see... Nothing quite like curling up with the wife on the sofa to make for a good Sunday afternoon, that is until the dog wants to join in and climb us...

On Friday on the way home, I started picking up the materials for my sub panel project. LOML wants to replace the existing panel due to some damage it took during Hurricane Ike, and the fact that adding the sub panel would pretty much max it out, so the cost is going up quite a bit more than I wanted, but not to unreachable levels. The new panel will have enough capacity also that adding another sub panel for a shed wouldn't be a problem. So now I have all the outlets, outlet boxes, cover plates, 12/2 wire, wire nuts, and romex staples I could want. Now I need panels, the breakers, nail blocks and about 125' of 6/3 with ground... Once the wiring is in, passed inspection and energized, I get to throw insulation and fresh sheet rock at the two walls where the electrical is being run, and thankfully the other wall won't get any power. But once everything is back on the first wall, I rip down the sheet rock on the second, insulate it, and re-rock it. Once that is done, and everything that mounts to the wall is back up, I will have a fully heated, cooled, insulated, and powered shop. In that shop I have about 200 bd/ft of black wallnut, 100 bd/ft of cherry, 100 bd/ft of pecan (more of that coming), and 50 bd/ft of white oak... I will need more of the pecan as it is what I need for my next big project, as well as 3/4" and 1/2" pre sanded cabinet grade hardwood ply. LOML and I are going to fully redo the kitchen with Pecan face frames, doors, and drawer fronts based on the MLCS mitered door frame set (#8782). I am planning on a BLO / wax finish with spray on poly... LOTS of work, but once the initial setups are done, they should go fast...
    Last edited by David Hostetler; 07-16-2012 at 10:39 AM.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

We took Friday off and went to Amish country in Ohio with my mom, aunt and uncle. The plan was to go to an auction Saturday but we weren't really interested in the offerings. Instead we left them at the auction and went to some cabinet shops and furniture shops looking for ideas. Found exactly what I wanted to build us for a bed for an outstanding price so we ordered it. And a nice Trex mailbox like those Step 2 ones all the borgs sell but mase of thick Trex for about the same price. Found some kitchen ideas too. That's my next project once the laundry room is done.

This has nothing to do with woodworking but on Wednesday I took my wife to Boston which is a 4.5hr trip including the ferry crossing. Thursday she was operated on for cancer. She spent Thursday night in the hospital & got released on Friday early afternoon. We spent Friday night there because we couldn't make the ferry as the last one to the island is at 5:00 pm. Came back on Saturday & spent the rest of the weekend taking care of her. I surely wish it was different. Now we wait for the bills to be rolling in as our deductible is 15,000.00.....Yes that's what it is....So if anyone remembers a thread I started about 5 weeks back & was deleted because of a few choice words this is what it was about.... yes & I'm still -----
    Last edited by Jay Jolliffe; 07-16-2012 at 4:05 PM. Reason: deleated word for fear of being deleated

Jay,

I am sorry to hear of your wifes cancer. I hope the surgery was successful. That is a terrible deductible; I am with you on your anger. I am sorry I can not do anything about the deductible. However, I will pray for your wifes speedy recovery.

God bless, Sam

Thanks Sam...How's your doors coming? Post some pics when their done....

Jay, I am new to the forum and am very sorry about your wife. My wife and I just had a scare but it came back negative that was nerve racking enough I cant imagine what you must be going through. You will be in my prayers my friend.

Sorry to hear about your wife. Saturday went to grand daughter's nineth birthdy party. Sunday AM went to church. Sunday afternoon, worked on converting a generator to electric start. Because of kidney stone, I was uncomfortable and passing blood both days. About two AM this morning, woke up with kidney stone "killing me." Spent today on couch and taking "happy pills." Take a pill, sleep six hours, wake up and take another pill. I don't think I have ever known anyone I could wish a kidney stone on.

Jay,

Just finishing up painting the living room. Then, to the doors. Should be a couple of days. I will post photo's.

Sam

Phone tech supported a CNC Router Build of my VFD/Spindle controller and all post processor setup. Their 5X10 was running on their first try after I walked them through everything. Earned myself an all access pit pass to next weekends Nationwide race in Chicago with their crew courtesey of the builders. I have never been to a race so I am pretty excited and taking my mother in law who is a super fan. Pics to come.

Gave a tour to a couple guys building their second CNC routers. Lots of talking about adding stability to a DIY build.

Started prepping for some bed work on my machine.

Swapped out a 3 wheel feeder for a 4 wheel on one shaper.

Started the work for the fence upgrade on the other shaper.

Jay - prayers sent to you and your family. Bruce - Get well soon! David glad you are feeling better - ease back into the pace!!
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 07-17-2012 at 11:21 AM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.