Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust collection from dual drum sander.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley Hennigar View Post
    I have been thinking of that. I had also been thinking of adding a cyclone container beside my drum sander. I can't afford to replace my existing dust collector at the moment. So thought one of those dust deputy units might work. But I thought it was the larger particles that fell and the lighter dust was pulled through. I can build almost anything in my shop but this cyclone dust collection baffles me. From what I have read it seems that the fine dust won't fall in the container. Maybe it's just these cheap side units that won't work. Will need to make a ton of jewelry boxes to save money for a proper cyclone system lol.
    A proper cyclone separator will, um...separate...both larger and smaller materials out of the air stream. While it might seem counter-intuitive, even the fine particles obey the laws of gravity and drop out of the airstream when the cyclonic action slows down the air flow as it twirls around. You could use one of the larger DD's that are suitable for 6" in/out and put it before you split between the two 4" ports on the machine. Do note that system performance will be reduced a little at the tool because of the additional load the cyclone will place on it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

2. Definitely worth a shot. Thanks so much for your input Jim. I live in Canada and most of my work is during the winter months. So going out to my dust collector shed every hour to crank my cannisters can be a pain. And taking them off for a full clean doesn't happen in the winter. lol