Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 65-70hrs a week?

I've been working 65 hours a week for 5 years with no end in sight. Should have listened to my parents and paid attention in school. I don't really notice any ill effects from it, though.

What I don't understand is all these small businesses where working at least a half day on Saturday is expected in addition to Monday through Friday. Doesn't the owner understand that most social activities occur on the weekend? A lot of them are not retail establishments. In retail shops I understand working weekends, but the employee usually gets two days off every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Depends on a few things.

1. How much do you enjoy the job? if you really like what you do and the people you work with, things will go much better than otherwise.

2. Do you have someone that will handle things like mowing the lawn, paying the bills, etc. That also makes a huge difference in that it reduces your other obligations at the expense of the person handling those tasks.

3. How content are you to drop the things that you currently do for fun? For example, TV, family time, hobbies, etc.

+1. If you are very engaged mentally with your job, the long week will not be bad. I once had a job where I was putting in 100 - 110 hours a week for about 16 weeks a year, and 60 - 75 hours for most of the remainder. However I was fully engaged in what I was doing, single, and my hard work paid off handsomly in the long run. I have absolutely no regrets, and learned a lot about my capabilities during that time.

You will be way ahead if you can develop the discipline to bank your entire paycheck ( or the bulk of it). Then, come January when you look back over what you've achieved as well as having a nice sum in the bank, you will be very satisfied and have a good start on either an investment or tool fund.

My grandfather on my dad's side raised 9 kids on a court record-keeper's salary. He used to say "all work and no play makes jack".

If that makes no sense, then you have to look up jack in the dictionary. I never heard the word used to mean that before.

"It's only work if you'd rather be doing something else"

At 65 yrs old, I have spent decades in the heavy equipment construction business. Many a season we'd put in several consecutive 65-75 hr. weeks due to weather conditions, time sensitive contracts or whatever. Safety was important, but with the Caterpillars, Komatsu's, Volvo's, Macks and Autocars, it was still all the fun one could have legally. Now, with occasional dozing as a part timer for some friends, turning quite frequently, tending the veggie garden and the flowers, and being with the LOML, it still does not seem like work.

The pic is me pushing up the beach after winter erosion at Skaket Beach on Cape Cod Bay in Orleans. It's a 1972 D8-H, 46A series. The pic is a few years old, as I don't own any big iron anymore.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Perreault View Post
    "It's only work if you'd rather be doing something else"

At 65 yrs old, I have spent decades in the heavy equipment construction business. Many a season we'd put in several consecutive 65-75 hr. weeks due to weather conditions, time sensitive contracts or whatever. Safety was important, but with the Caterpillars, Komatsu's, Volvo's, Macks and Autocars, it was still all the fun one could have legally. Now, with occasional dozing as a part timer for some friends, turning quite frequently, tending the veggie garden and the flowers, and being with the LOML, it still does not seem like work.

The pic is me pushing up the beach after winter erosion at Skaket Beach on Cape Cod Bay in Orleans. It's a 1972 D8-H, 46A series. The pic is a few years old, as I don't own any big iron anymore.
    Fred, great post and photo above.

I'm struck by a coincidence here though.... I happen to own a 1972 D8-H, 46A series dozer.... It's a real hoss too!

Here is a pic of a friend of mine sitting in the operators seat.

Bill_d84.jpg

I got the job.Its at High Concrete, part of High Industries. 12hr days, and mandatory saturday three out of four saturdays.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    I got the job.Its at High Concrete, part of High Industries. 12hr days, and mandatory saturday three out of four saturdays.
    I don't quite understand why companies don't just hire more workers if they need everyone to work 72 hours a week with only one day off a week. Unless these are seasonal workers who get no overtime they'll be paying each worker for 88 hours each week they work Saturday.

For me personally, I would have to be really desperate to work a physical job for 12 hours a day. I did work 15 to 16 hour days when I was young, but only for 12 days straight.

Congratulations Curtis. Having a well paying job in today's economy is something to be treasured. Best of success to you as you embark on this new phase of your professional career..

Scott

Depends on your priorities. Some people devote their lives to careers and enjoy it. Others want a personal life and work less or as required. Follow your heart and do what feels right your your life style and career.

May your heart follow what is in the best interests of you and your family.

Very Cool!

Now you should think about setting some very strict monitary goals so it does not go to waste. Myself, I still do this. I post in the Outlook Express every day and make sure I excede my goal every day/week/month. I find that keeping track of how far I am ahead for the month helps motivate me every day to work to my end goal.

There are times when that kind of schedule will drag you down a bit, but if you have a goal and make yourself move toward it, that will get you through the times when you are lacking drive.

Happy for you.

Larry

Congrats on the new job Curtis!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

So why all the hours? Are they working on some large public works project or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    So why all the hours? Are they working on some large public works project or something?
    My first thought is that maybe part of the time is watching concrete dry? they have 8 shifts a day staggered by 3 hours. Alot of what I have seen from them is the precast bridge sectiond that go on the bridges that High Steel makes
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

My first thought is that maybe part of the time is watching concrete dry? they have 8 shifts a day staggered by 3 hours. Alot of what I have seen from them is the precast bridge sectiond that go on the bridges that High Steel makes
    That makes sense. Maybe after 1-2 weeks, you could post back (if you have time) and let us know what the typical day is like, and how things go.

Good luck with it. I hope you bank a ton of cash!