Thread: My "new" Rockwell/Delta/Grizzly Sander

My "new" Rockwell/Delta/Grizzly Sander

Here it is...
    rockwell-delta-grizzly.jpg
    Like it?? Here's the story.
    Awhile ago I picked up an older model Rockwell/Delta stationary sander. I have no idea how old it is since the identification plate fell off, but it works fine. Still, it couldn't get longer pieces very flat. After removing the belt and inspecting the platen, it was clear why:
    bent platen.jpg
    Quite a dent. These sanders are very top-heavy, so I could only conclude it took a tumble at some point in its prior life.
    As you might expect, no one sells a replacement for this platen.
    I spent awhile trying to figure out how to build one, but couldn't come up with any good ideas. Then I decided to start looking through parts diagrams of modern stationary sanders to see if any current models have a similar part. Lo and behold, one of Grizzly's sanders looked quite similar.

Despite hearing great things about Grizzly's customer service, my expectations weren't very high. After all, I don't think they're staying in business selling parts to be used on other manufacturers' products. I figured they'd just laugh. Instead, Vince C. in tech support had me send him the measurements of my old platen which he compared to the Grizzly platen and let me know the differences. Since it still seemed like it would work, I went ahead and ordered it.

After drilling a few new holes, my sander now has a nice shade of green:
    new platen.jpgnew platen1.jpg

Thanks, Grizzly..

---Mike

Blog Entries
    Right On!!!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

3. I applaud Grizzly to, I had some issues, and they took care of every thing I asked for, Gotta brag on customer service like that.

Michael,
    The platen is a wear item, it didn't take a tumble just normal wear and tear. Friction from the belt motion wears the metal. I would suggest you add a piece of graphite to the platen to reduce the coefficient of friction. You should be able to buy them on eBay (I think).
    Ben

Agree with Ben but on a low friction wear surface, you can get it @ McMaster Carr
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Hi Ben and Van,
    Thanks for the suggestion of graphite. I may give it a try, but....
    While the picture doesn't show it very well, but the platen is definitely bent. I thought about trying to bend it back into shape, but it would take a sledge hammer. That's why I think the whole sander must have toppled over.

---Mike

...and the whole OWWM forum rolls over in their grave. Glad to see you up and sanding.

Your Delta/Rockwell sander is most likely a model 31-710. Many parts are available from RenovoParts.com or ToolPartsDirect.com.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    ...and the whole OWWM forum rolls over in their grave. Glad to see you up and sanding.
    Actually, no. It's well known that some Grizzly parts fit Delta machines, with some slight machining. I have two Grizzly spindle I use on my 1945 HD shaper, for example (again, after some machining). I think there's stub arbor for dado blades that fits on a Delta 12/14 saw too.

Kirk

Wow, that's an impressive story about creative thinking. Glad it came out so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Poore View Post
    Actually, no. It's well known that some Grizzly parts fit Delta machines, with some slight machining. I have two Grizzly spindle I use on my 1945 HD shaper, for example (again, after some machining). I think there's stub arbor for dado blades that fits on a Delta 12/14 saw too.

Kirk
    I know. I find it funny that you can't discuss the Green Bear over there and people always ding Grizzly for future parts availabilty. The very thing they hate is saving their OWWM.