Thread: Help Identifying an Atkins saw

Post Help Identifying an Atkins saw

Anyone have a clue what model Atkins saw this might be? Handle design seems to be closest to the 400 or 401, but the wood is obviously not rosewood. I picked this up at an estate sale this past weekend and other than some minor pitting and a missing nut, it just needs some cleaning. Teeth are all intact and the plate is straight. I doubt I'll be able to restore the blade enought to read an etch. Seems the saw may have seen use many decades ago, but has been hanging in the basement until this past Saturday.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

On another note, is their an addiction club I should join? Staring at my pile of saws has revealed that I am no longer just a woodworker hobbiest, but a certified tool addict...
    Attached Images Attached Images

After further research, it is clearly not a 400 or 401, but still no luck finding out what model this might be, just know what it isn't so far.

Hi Kevin,

I am NOT trying to pass myself off as an expert in any way in replying to your post. In my limited experience Atkins saws are very difficult to identify, there seems to be much less information about them than Disston and I don't know why. Mark Van Roojen's site ( http://www.mvr1.com/index.html) has a copy of saw sense that looks like it's from the 1920's or earlier and the tote styles illustrated in it look newer than the one on your saw.

Clean it up, get it sharpened or sharpen it yourself ( I've avoided that pitfall thus far), use it and be happy you have a good saw. Someone told me Atkins steel is harder than Disston's steel but I can't say one way or the other. I have a couple of Disston's (one is a pretty nice model 12) I generally prefer the Atkins to the Disstons. I have saws by George Bishop and Richardson Brothers too.

I'll be sending out a very old Disston for sharpening that I can't identify. No etch, no medallion, no bolts but it has a nice old tote with a nice lamb's tongue that I might be able to revive. The blade has a nib, is breasted, pretty straight and filed crosscut. I know I'll never be able to identify it or even get a dollar value on it but I couldn't bring myself to let it disintegrate any further.

Addiction? It's an addiction! I thought old saws were like coat hangers and multiplied when nobody was looking! I'm up to about ten that are in working order and have a couple to get sharpened and a few more to be refurbished or junked.

Ken

I think it's a No. 54, a competitor to Disston's No. 7. As I recall, my Atkins No. 54 doesn't have a nib, and it's a very nice saw. The nice heavy plate and comfy handle give it a great hang, and the steel they used holds an edge for a very long time. Great blue collar hand saw for people who would actually have to use one all day. I haven't tried a 400 but In my estimation the 54 is a real sleeper.

Thanks Kenneth, that link was a big help. Jonathan, based on the illustrations in the Atkins catalog, I think you're right that it's a 54. It'll be a great one to clean up and put to work... right after I clean up the 2 Disston #12s, #7 and D8 I picked up 3 weeks ago.

Glad to help!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Speed View Post

I'll be sending out a very old Disston for sharpening that I can't identify. No etch, no medallion, no bolts but it has a nice old tote with a nice lamb's tongue that I might be able to revive.
    Someone has to ask the obvious question: "Then how do you know it's a Disston?"

Joe, you're quite right and that's what I get for dashing off a reply in a hurry. What I should have said was that there was no visible etch when I bought it. Cleaned up there was a faint Disston etch but no visible model number.

Understood - thanks for clearing that up.