Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Boards

Cutting Boards

Lately I've been designing & making cutting/serving boards for a local business. Here are some photos of recent boards.

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

b5.jpg

b6.jpg
    DJO Furniture Maker / Timberwerks Studio

Very nice !! very "artsy", good work indeed !
    MARK

Very nice design, use of materials and execution.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks Guys :-)

Gorgeous! ..
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Ditto. Extremely unique. I'm sure I've never seen any like them.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Wow, extremely nice work. I love the new (to me) design. Hope you don't mind but I think i'm going to "borrow" the concept from you and make one in a similar style as a housewarming gift for a friend. I'm not clever enough to come up with new/fresh designs like that but I recognize really nice ones when I see them.

Hat's off...

Very impressive...taking the ordinary to the extraordinary. Mind sharing the ultimate retail price? Also, are those cocobolo runners on the maple one? Again, very impressive design and concept.
    Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling
    Sierra Madre, California

Thanks again everyone. Craig, go ahead and borrow, no problem. Damon, prices range from $45.00 to $100.00. Wood is Bocote. I have other boards I have done but have not yet posted. Some of the boards went to Japan and have already been sold via a gallery there. They have ordered more with a slightly different base design and larger.

Here is another base design I like. It's a good way to use smaller pieces of Bocote:

base.jpg

Potential Hazards and Safety Tips

Before starting the art of woodworking, it is of importance to protect your body from all the potential hazards that are present. It is especially important to protect the eyes, ears, and the lungs. Wearing clothes that aren’t loose and gloves are recommended to prevent skin irritation. Wearing of protective eye gears or goggles protect woodworkers from debris flying from using hand tools to rip wood.

Taps and dies
    Last edited by Ryan Ron; 09-03-2012 at 2:45 AM.

Those are wayyy too nice to be cutting on.

Beautiful!!

I also like the design of these boards. Simple yet elegant. I am curious what you're are using for the metal hardware in the leg details. What type of metal is it? And how is it attached to the wood, epoxy I assume? I like the detail the metal hardware adds.

I'm using 3/8" aluminum rod. Yes, epoxy is used to glue in place. I'm actually working on three boards this weekend that get shipped to Japan on Monday. One is a copy of the butterfly board, the other two use the same type of birdseye / butterfly tops but the base will be similar to one of the live edge boards. Since the tops for these two boards are wider I need a base that will allow more movement when they reach the higher humidity of Japan.

Beautiful work.
    Best Regards,

Gordon