Thread: Thank you to Stomana for my spindle.

Thank you to Stomana for my spindle.

Just want to thank Irena at Stomana in Silistra Bulgaria for shipping me my ER32 spindle for my shaper. Great group to work with. Thanks to all members with info on how to order and pay overseas as well.

Collets are imperials from Shars.

Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 07-17-2012 at 10:26 PM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Thats purdy...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Very purdy. Looks high quality.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Nice. What's your plan for that spindle? What type of tooling does the collet system allow you to run? I remember the saga from the vendor which shall not be named for fear of this post being declared a rant , glad you got the goods at a price you found acceptable. I just inquired about a 3/4" spindle for a recent used acquisition and was quoted $900 with shipping from Italy. Cheaper to dump what 3/4" tooling I own at this point.

I have imperial ER32 collets from 1/8 to 3/4. I have some larger 1/2 shank router bits I want to run and want to try tilting them slightly. I also need the small diameter bearings on some other router bits for some other curvy edge routing I want to try. If it does not work I do have a large router table as well but this will at least be a good try. If it does work it will give me a large router table setup and feeder setup with sliding table and tilting spindle.

I can also now match the CNC tooling on all the shapers and RT.

I ran a cove bit on it already through hard maple and it worked just fine.

Let me know when you dump the 3/4 tooling.

I have 1 1/4, 3/4, and now ER32 spindles now. It will run all my tooling now. I had some 1" LRH but I got those bored to 1 1/4. Mike did them for me at Leitz.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 07-18-2012 at 9:43 AM.

That sounds like a really flexible set up, great to have a tilting router spindle option. I imagine with that kind of power you could set up an over arm pin type set up and do pin routing like an Onsrud machine too to some extent. Might not be neccessary for you with the CNC I suppose? Nice to be able to hit tight inside corners, and you could chuck up a sanding head too if you have the low speed range .

I have contemplated the Over arm pin option too. If I ever get a motorzed lifting mechanism for the spindle I could see that being pretty crazy. Before that though I will probaly have pneumatic part lifting on the CNC using vacuum pucks for raising the work and being able to edge profile the work on the CNC.

The slow speed at 60hz is 2000rpm I believe (either that or 4000, I need to look again). A remote POT will make adjusting the speeds on the VFD easier.

Mike,

This is great!! Glad you you got everything and quick I might add. It would be interesting to order a bandsaw from them since this is what Laguna's lighter duty European band saws are and what their Asian Laguna band saws are based on - they even have the driftmaster fence on their website - wonder what the price difference on those suckers would be. Maybe not much since most markups are on the small stuff/accessories/parts like you have there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Just want to thank Irena at Stomana in Silistra Bulgaria for shipping me my ER32 spindle for my shaper. Great group to work with. Thanks to all members with info on how to order and pay overseas as well.

Collets are imperials from Shars.

Very nice

I do like the fact that on the nicer machines from Laguna you get Baldor motors on them. Ordering from Stomana you would not get those. I dont know much about the motors they use.

Stomana gets a bunch of its parts from companies in Italy and Germany ..

Mike's spindle is probably made by Consegni Pieriono ..

http://www.consegni.it/prodotti.htm

Europeans cooperate more than us .. They all seem to do business with each other . Martin buys accessories from Italian companies .. its all a big collage.. lol

I would bet the Stomana motor's are made in Italy or Germany.. much like the rest ..

There is a company in Italy called Socomec.. They make Tenon Jigs, Bandsaws, all sorts of stuff.. If you look at their mortisers, they are suprisingly similar to the ones Stomana sells..

Martin is now selling Griggio stuff with Martin Paint jobs.. AL-KO Dust collectors painted turquoise..

Who really knows where something was made ..

http://www.socomec-snc.com/eng/chisiamo.html