Thread: Unique Oak Finish

Unique Oak Finish

I recall seeing something about a year ago on a type of finish technique for oak. It involved a darker stain and then taking a toothbrush and flicking very dark stain on it sparingly to give it a unique almost antique look. Does anyone remember seeing something like this?

ALSO...I am going to be making a whole master bedroom set from oak. Id like to steer clear of some plain jane golden finishes and make it look a little more interesting...so I'm open to ideas.

Pictures are GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!!!

Spattering is just one of many "little things" one can do to distress or "age" a piece of furniture.

If you pick your material very carefully, you could try some contrasting techniques that involve coloring the wood and then using darker or lighter grain filler to highlight the big pores that oak typically has. It could even be "unnatural" colors. But IMHO, you'd want to be sure that all your material has a very similar grain pattern for best effect in this one...

You could also try bleaching the oak nearly colorless and use a dye wash to add a hint of some hue that is pleasing to you and the boss from a decorative standpoint. Or ebonize it for a very rich look that isn't your typical "golden oak".

Lots of options for something different!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank Jim, I had a feeling you'd have some good insight on this one. Its a very good point you make about having consistency. I've never made a 'set' of anything...everything has always been a one off piece.

Is there any recommended reading with some nice pictures that can help me visualize?

Ebonizing is a great idea, I forgot about that...although I wonder if it will seem too dark with out much natural light that room gets.
    Last edited by Daniel McCurdy; 06-19-2008 at 8:50 PM.