Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: lookin at guns

I bought a .17hmr out of curiosity, and was totally blown away by this amazing little caliber (looks like a necked down .22 magnum). It's a bit more expensive than a .22 but shoots faster, farther, and a lot harder than a .22.. You can actually see the splash when it hits the groundhog
    I have a Mossberg bolt action, but my next one will be a Henry leaver action in .17hmr.. There were problems using the cartridge in semi's hopefully they can get what ever problem it was ironed out.. I have a Henry AR-7 that I carry in the trunk seat of the ATV, and would buy another instantly if it came in .17hmr
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

I'm considering a Marlin 39A. Henry lever action is on the list too. But the Marlin just has my attention.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    I bought my grandson a Henry .22 lever action. It shoots well and is well made. Made in the USA!
    Love the MADE in the USA
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

As I said, my son love his AR15, but before you buy one of those, price a box of Ammo. Then multiply it times the number of times you want, or think you would want to shoot it. But he does have a Blast. Sounds like a Blast compared to my 22/45 too.

Fotgot to add...took my grandson age 11 (his 10/22 was a gift for making honor role) with his scoped 10/22 to the range yesterday and spent an hour plus. He shot his 10/22, I shot my gamo air rifle. I tried out some new wadcutter ammo and compared it to some other ammo I had been shooting. I had just as much fun shooting the air gun.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    I'm looking at Colt, Smith and Wesson, and Sig Sauer. Which brand would you choose? they are all within $100 of each other
    In an ar15 style? Colt hands down.
    One purchase helps keep HF in business, the other helps keep LV in business.
    Those two outcomes have different values for me. - Chuck Nickerson

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Gilmer View Post
    In an ar15 style? Colt hands down.
    thanks. Any adivce on attatchments? lasers, scope, fun stuff thats not really "needed" but is fun and not more than $100,,, maybe a grenade barrel hung under the main barrel
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

thanks. Any adivce on attatchments? lasers, scope, fun stuff thats not really "needed" but is fun and not more than $100,,, maybe a grenade barrel hung under the main barrel
    My suggestion is buy a bcm, noveske or colt ar. Then mags, ammo and training. Those three will highlight what gizmo you need next. If it is for home defense maybe an light and mount. The ideal m4 configuration I've settled on is a BCM 14.5" barrel w/ a pinned a2x flash hider in carbine length gas system, magpul moe stock, grip and hand guard with a trl1 mounted out front for light. But then it is a bit more than a range toy. Learn to use the iron sights then look at putting a red dot on it. Aimpoint and Eotech are top notch but pricey. I've seen decent reviews on primary arms or vortex for cheap non-life saving use red dots.

If all you are doing is going to the range to plink at paper get a 22lr gun and go have fun.
    One purchase helps keep HF in business, the other helps keep LV in business.
    Those two outcomes have different values for me. - Chuck Nickerson

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    I bought a .17hmr out of curiosity, and was totally blown away by this amazing little caliber (looks like a necked down .22 magnum). It's a bit more expensive than a .22 but shoots faster, farther, and a lot harder than a .22.. You can actually see the splash when it hits the groundhog
    I have a Mossberg bolt action, but my next one will be a Henry leaver action in .17hmr.. There were problems using the cartridge in semi's hopefully they can get what ever problem it was ironed out.. I have a Henry AR-7 that I carry in the trunk seat of the ATV, and would buy another instantly if it came in .17hmr
    Bill,

I went to the Henry site to check them out and they do make one .17hmr caliber. It's a Golden Boy model though. Also the Varmit Express is .17hmr
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Stahl; 07-20-2012 at 7:15 PM.

Keltec SU16 is a great Mini 14 clone and uses a NATO round that's cheap and easy to find. Good for moderate range. Ruger 10/22 is a bomb to shoot but if you're thinking protection or something like that...have lots of ammo... .223 is a better round. Remington 870 with the assult package is worth it's weight in gold for protection. You can toss an AK out of a helicopter, drive over it with a hummer in 12" of mud and it will fire everytime, It's less cool brother, the SKS is a great way to go too... 7.62x39 round...still around $100 if you shop around, mine has about 600 rounds through it and only my shoulder is the worse for wear.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I loved shooting a kimber .45, very nice gun.
    Curtis, I have a Kimber 9mm (1911 Frame). I love shooting it and 9mm ammo is cheap compared to others.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stahl View Post
    Bill,

I went to the Henry site to check them out and they do make one .17hmr caliber. It's a Golden Boy model though. Also the Varmit Express is .17hmr
    Yup, but what I would like them to make is a AR-7 in .17hmr.. I have one of their new .22 AR7 survival rifles (not the jamb-o-matic they used to be) and love it.. Actually I'm surprised the previous Canadian government did not class it as a 'restricted' weapon because it's black, and looks different.. The AR15 is a restricted firearm in Canada (can ONLY be fired on a range, can only be transported with a valid ATT (Authorization to transport), under lock and key, in a locked container..their dangerous you know.. Yet, a semi 30-06 that can put a hole through a engine block is perfectly OK.. Like they say in Canada, "It's doesn't have to make sense, it's government policy"
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Hi Curtis,

Barrow a 22 and come to an Appleseed. It sounds like you are still under 21 so it will only cast you $5.00 for the weekend. I am working on becomming an instructor with them.

There will be a 10/22 there and probably a SW 15-22 that you can probably be able to try out. Depending on the renge there may be centerfire that you can try too. History on the battles of Lexington and Condord is presented and marksmanship as taught between WW I and WWII is presented. You will go through about 500 rounds. Women are $10 for the weekend.

It is a very family friendly atmosphere. I took my daughters when they were 8 and 9 and they love it. No modern politics! Malitia only in the 1700's reference. Appleseedusa dot org.

My recommendation is the S&W 15-22 as it has everything where it is on the AR making it a better trainier. Comes with usable peep sights and sling studs.

HTH

Chuck
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    Do you shoot a lot of varmint? If so you HAVE to get a .17 Rem!!! I have a 700 in .17 Rem and it is a hoot, knock down P-dogs at 400M. It is a necked down, shoulder back .223. I am guessing the .17HMR runs out of "dog" power at about 200M max.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McKinley View Post
    Hi Curtis,

Barrow a 22 and come to an Appleseed. It sounds like you are still under 21 so it will only cast you $5.00 for the weekend. I am working on becomming an instructor with them.

There will be a 10/22 there and probably a SW 15-22 that you can probably be able to try out. Depending on the renge there may be centerfire that you can try too. History on the battles of Lexington and Condord is presented and marksmanship as taught between WW I and WWII is presented. You will go through about 500 rounds. Women are $10 for the weekend.

It is a very family friendly atmosphere. I took my daughters when they were 8 and 9 and they love it. No modern politics! Malitia only in the 1700's reference. Appleseedusa dot org.

My recommendation is the S&W 15-22 as it has everything where it is on the AR making it a better trainier. Comes with usable peep sights and sling studs.

HTH

Chuck
    thanks for the info. I will look into it
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!