Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: lookin at guns

lookin at guns

I've been lookin at getting a new gun for awhile now, but realized that I have no idea what im looking at. I'm looking for something fun to shoot but cheap on ammo, and not high in price. Not for hunting, just for fun. I stopped at the local gunshop, gundealersonline, and i found a ruger mini 14 done up tactical for what seems to be a reasonable price. $590, but I read some reviews and found mixed results. This wouldnt be shot more than once a month, and only at targets for fun. I have till febuary till I can get a pistol, so while its not out of the question... its not in the picture yet.

Any suggestions on brands or models to look at?

I've shot a decent amount of other guns, .45s, 9mm, .22, .3030, 30-06, numerous shotguns, AR-15, but never bought my own other than my mossburgh. I know the companies but have no idea on the qualities of each.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

I'd recommend an ak47/74 long long before a ruger mini-anything or any other assault rifle in that price range.

If you are looking at ar15/m4 style rifles a good one is going to be closer to $1000. BCM (bravo company manf.), Colt, Daniel Defense and Noveske make some of the best m4 style guns around.

What range are you shooting to? A smith and wesson M&P22 (22 lr clone of an m4) is a fun gun and you can shoot it all day for dirt cheap.
    One purchase helps keep HF in business, the other helps keep LV in business.
    Those two outcomes have different values for me. - Chuck Nickerson

Why not ask at the gun shop?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Do you want to plink or are you looking for real accuracy?

A .22LR is going to be your cheapest ammo and in general have cheaper rifles. I have a Ruger 10/22 .22LR that likes to get dirty and jam on me, but works well when clean. On the other hand I've shot a .22LR single shot rifle with a head of a nail as the front sight and hit the varmint I was aiming for so you really don't have to go crazy expensive with the gear. If you're considering hand guns as well then look at what Kimber has, I've got a Kimber 1911 that is a really joy to handle and shoot.

Muzzle loading can be a real hoot so you might look at black powder as well if you're in it for the fun. Takes a long time to shoot 100 rounds on a muzzle loader which keeps it cheap.

a pellet rifle are also fairly cheap to shoot

I bought my grandson a Henry .22 lever action. It shoots well and is well made. Made in the USA!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Meliza View Post
    If you're considering hand guns as well then look at what Kimber has, I've got a Kimber 1911 that is a really joy to handle and shoot.
    I loved shooting a kimber .45, very nice gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Why not ask at the gun shop?
    Cause the a gun shop doesn't nessesarily have every brand to look at, and some of them will tell you anything is good just to make a sale...

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Gilmer View Post
    I'd recommend an ak47/74 long long before a ruger mini-anything or any other assault rifle in that price range.

If you are looking at ar15/m4 style rifles a good one is going to be closer to $1000. BCM (bravo company manf.), Colt, Daniel Defense and Noveske make some of the best m4 style guns around.

What range are you shooting to? A smith and wesson M&P22 (22 lr clone of an m4) is a fun gun and you can shoot it all day for dirt cheap.
    I looked at the AK47 and similar styles, but how good are they actually? I know they are famous for being rugged and what not, but at the local shop they can be had from 2-300$ range up to 2k with options and things. And I know ammo for them while not pricey, still isnt super cheap.
    I was thinking probably a 22, or .223 just cause they are so cheap for ammo and the actuall gun. I was hoping to find something decent between $650-$400. Used or new, semi-auto. The local range is about 150yards i beleive, so it would be nice to have some accuracy atleast

also found one of these,
    Smith & Wesson Model M&P 1522 25 + 1 22 LR Pistol
    and this one
    Sig Sauer 22 LR 522 model w/Folding Stock Metal Receiver & Picatinny Rail

I guess a Holland and Holland is out of the question...

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    I guess a Holland and Holland is out of the question...
    I would be ashamed to put a gun like those in a car that cost less than half of one, just to get it to the range.

A .22 is a fun plinker, and you can often find a used one in the $100 - $200.00 range. The mini-14 is a nice gun too, but if it were me I would spend just a tad bit extra and buy an AR 15 model.

There are a plethora of accessories available for the AR's, and they hold their value rather well. Plus, they are reasonably accurate. You don't need a "major brand", many of the knock off's are just fine. Plus they are a joy to shoot.

I personally prefer the flat top models, as that way the centerline of the scope is not so high above the barrel.

My sons bought me a Ruger Mark 3 22/45 for just what you said you wanted. It's a delight to shoot, if it's a pistol that you want. Didn't go the S & W route because of cost. Ammo is cheap and you can put a scope on it and really pimp it up. I also have a Gamo pellet rifle and second the notion about them being fun and cheap. It's also scoped and you can spend all day for little $$$. My son has an AR15. He loves it but when you get above 22cal. the cost also gets higher. The Ruger 10/22 is a nice entry rifle. My grandson's first. Been around a long time and usually a solid weapon. Also second consulting your local gun store. They "should" be the experts.

The Ruger 22/45 is a great gun and you can shoot it all day for a lot less wear and tear on your wallet and your body. Find the right ammo that it likes and feed it. Mine likes jacketed, not lead, and it's usually easier to get an auto to feed jacketed vs. lead. Decent trigger that CAN be worked on by a smith.

For a rifle, I would recommend trying to find an old/used 10/22. Great action, and you can swap out barrel, stock, trigger, etc., as you see fit.

I can't tell you how much fun my 22/45 has been over the years, and this is from an IPSC shooter that has lots of competition guns.

Good luck, don't forget your eyes and ears...........
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

I thought you were Saving Money for college...
    ;o)
    Carpe Lignum

A Ruger 10/22 is to .22's what a Porter Cable 690 is to routers...

Not to drag politics into things - but - prices of guns do tend to climb around election time.
    If an AR or AK is something you want, now rather than closer to November would be the time to buy one.