Thread: I am thinking about buying a used CNC...please help Should I take the plunge

Exclamation I am thinking about buying a used CNC...please help Should I take the plunge

He wants $5000.00 for it
    He seems like a decent guy.

Here are the specs. It comes with a 3 1/4 hp Porter Cable industrial router

3 axis CNC router: 75" x 22" x 4"

X-Axis: 75" travel
    25 mm hiwin precision ball screw
    HGL 25 Hiwin precision rails
    Nema 34 Stepper motor and associated couplings and hard ware

Y-axis: 22" Travel
    Danaher Motion DS4 Linear Actuator (with Integrated Magnetic Dust Covers)
    Nema 23 Stepper Motor

Z-Axis: 4" travel (100 mm)
    Parker 404 XR series Linear Actuator
    Nema 23 Motor

Its basically brand new and custom built to cut snowboard profiles and it is built with standard motion control equipment.

New equipment and technology is never a bad investment in my opinion. The thing to ask yourself is "What can this new equipment allow me to do that I couldn't do before?" The money is in the niche markets, and if allows you to make something that nobody else is doing (or can do effectively), you're ahead of the game. It takes stretching your imagination and your preconceived ideas of what's possible to really come up with those uses. When you have a 3 axis mill, you tend to think in terms of 3 axis work. When you get a 4th axis, it opens up rotary work possibilities that just weren't practical before. The same goes for a 5th axis machine. That's a whole different animal. I don't have one of those, so my designs don't tend to have those features. That's the point, you tend to box yourself in to the equipment you have.

I'm looking into a powerful laser that will open a lot of possibilities that weren't an option before. It's amazing to see the possibilities that new equipment frees up. Don't box yourself in to thinking it's only a router for snowboard parts; it's a platform that allows whatever it is that comes next.
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings

I just wanted to know if the machine I listed above sounds like it's worth 5k.

Depends on what you will use it for...

That machine sounds good on paper, however the 22 inch dimension makes it very narrow for general use. If you are making snowboards or skateboards, the dimensions sound ideal; but if you are making dimensional signs, you will find the width too limiting. In addition, the machine can be 'nearly new' and still beat up - it would be good if you can get a knowledgeable person to check it out for you.

Plan to spend quite a bit more than $5K. You will need design software, possibly dust collection, router bits, sander, etc. A great deal isn't a great deal if you don't have plans for utilizing the equipment. If you are not familiar with computer drawing applications, you have a lot of work ahead of you. It is a very large investment of time, so make sure you have something specific you want to do with it. I can almost guarantee that if you buy it because it is good deal, it is going to be sitting idle in your garage or other storage space. I've spent almost every spare moment I have for the last year both learning design software, studying business opportunities, and making various signs and items with my machine and I'm just now really gaining momentum on my ability with it (got my machine in Feb). I had no CNC background but am an engineer and am decent computer graphics and coordinate systems and it has still been a huge learning curve. Also, a cheap machine isn't worth much if you can't find anyone to help you out when it breaks. Support and/or having a common machine where you know others are available to help you is crucial. Best of luck with your decision.
    CAMaster Cobra X3 408 w/Recoil
    BobCAD V25
    Corel Draw X5

Precision Sign and Post
    Windham, NH

5000.00 well worth it to him, at 22 inches wide you may be the one with resell value if this is important, it really depends on your desire and what you wish to do with the machine, yet you will not be cutting base cabinet sides should you desire to, with nema 23 motors and the parts listed i think he is recouping a bit morethan he paid to build it..

cnc router

I am looking for a used cnc router. If you are not interested this unit, can you share with me the seller?

Don Liechty

8. you can build a much better machine yourself for that money
    check Mechmate online
    Morntech 130 watt 36 X 48 Laser
    Benchtop Probotix CNC router
    Benchtop Taig CNC milling machine
    Benchtop CNC lathe
    Benchtop Manual Mill and Lathe
    makerbot Replicator 3d Printer
    Owner and CAD designer makecnc.com
    location Indian river bay
    lower Delaware