Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Protecting and Storing My Tools Efficiently in a Tough Climate

Protecting and Storing My Tools Efficiently in a Tough Climate

I need a little guidance on this issue. I'm new to woodworking. I have been putting together a basic set of tools and building skills as a hobby for the last two years or so. First, I'll tell you the current state of affairs and then the problems I'm facing...

My shop is half of a two car garage. I have built a woodworking bench that is floating in the middle of my shop space. Behind me as I stand at the bench are some repurposed storage units along the wall (someone was throwing them away). They are about 30" tall with an open shelf on which I set my planes for quick access, and drawers that hold drills and bits as well as some other items. The top of these units are for liquids (alcohol, naptha, polishes, paste wax, etc) and collecting clutter. On the wall above this storage unit (behind me as I stand at the bench) is a 4'x8' sheet of pegboard that I currently hang tools from. I use the standard 1/4" pegboard hardware you find at the BORG to hang and organize the tools. On the other wall I have in my shop space, the short one, is a repurposed desk that I use for guitar work.

I live in northeast Texas, which faces high humidity and temperatures for much of the year as well as frequent and large swings of both humidity and temperature. It isn't a kind environment for tools. Most of my tools are old ones that I've found at flea markets and antique stores, cleaned up, and put to use. The pegboard that I use for most of my tools was an idea from my dad's shop. He isn't a big woodworker, so most of his tools are general household stuff. I loved how organized his tools were, and how easy it was to grab what you needed in his shop, so I went with the pegboard too. I'm beginning to decide that the pegboard is great for household tools, but not ideal for woodworking tools. Even though I've gone to religiously coating tools with oil and paste wax, I still have rust to deal with regularly on my woodworking tools. A little rust on an old wrench or screwdriver isn't that big of a deal but it's a bigger problem on saw plates and chisels. The pegboard isn't quite as handy for the woodworking tools either as I would prefer to have the edge tools in wood holders of some sort that won't damage the edges and it would be nice to be able to move the holders to the tool tray of my bench when I'm working so that I don't have to keep turning around to grab what I need off the wall.

So I've decided that I may need to change my strategy on how I handle my woodworking tools due to the rust and the fact that the pegboard isn't as convenient for the woodworking tools as it is for the household stuff. I've heard some say that they fought rust issues much less after building a traditional tool chest for their woodworking tools. How many of you have found that to be the case?

The most basic decision I have to make is between a floor and wall chest. It's a small area, so floor space is at a premium. I do have the floor space for a traditional floor chest though if that turns out to be the best choice. The thing that makes the choice the most difficult for me is that my set of tools is still incomplete. I will undoubtedly need to add the following items as I tackle more projects: router plane, possibly a plow plane, a few more joinery saws, more marking, measuring, and layout tools, additional chisels, etc. Most of the people I see building chests have a pretty well defined set of tools that they use regularly so they can build the chest around those needs. I have a "work in progress" set of tools, so the beautiful wall chests that utilize every last 1/8" of space perfectly are not a possibility for me yet. I have to build something that will work for what I have now as well as what will be coming later, but I don't know exactly what will be coming later.

I need to build something that can accomodate my growing set of tools, help prevent rust as much as is possible in my climate, and make the best use of space possible. What do you guys think my best choices are?

PS, I know that the best rust inhibitor is using the tools regularly. The problem is that it's often 120* in my garage during the summer months, and so my tools are undoubtedly going to see significant periods where they don't get used because it's just too hot. I am doing this for fun after all...

Thanks,
    D

No question, a mid-to-large sized floor chest with basic sliding tills. Lots of space to add tools, flexibly organized so that you can find what you need, and closes down for rust prevention. I've used floor chests for years and literally wouldn't know how to work without them.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    No question, a mid-to-large sized floor chest with basic sliding tills. Lots of space to add tools, flexibly organized so that you can find what you need, and closes down for rust prevention. I've used floor chests for years and literally wouldn't know how to work without them.
    Could you give me an idea of what you mean by mid-to-large size in dimensions?

D

Blog Entries
    I can't really help here but just wanted to say hello and welcome to the Creek. I live in Sherman from '79 to '96 - loved it there. You'll get plenty of help here.

Since floor space is at a premium, how about making a "clam shell" type wall cabinet as big as you have space for. Within reason of course. Then outfitting the interior with french cleats. Then you can make say a chisel holder fitted to your chisels with the cleat. Then it can be removed and moved to the bench if needed. Also, as your tools expand, you would be able to add another holder, or inlarge the original. You could also make some sort of stand for your bench top to except these french cleated tool holders. I would also add a sloped panel with dividers for hand planes. FWW had a nice article last year I beleive on this.

What ever you do, good luck and enjoy the process.

Cheers,

Hoss

Optimal storage forms depend on your work preferences. For rust prevention, my method is to use a rag upon which has been sprayed CorrosionX Heavy Duty. Mobil-1 motor oil will work as well. Keep the rag in something airtight so the volatiles don't run away. I've not tried it but mutton tallow is also said to be very good as well as being a good use lube for saws and planes.

My cast iron surfaces went 6 unused years in an unheated garage. The ones that were treated with CorrosionX had no rust. Even though the stuff and Mobil1 are petroleum products, you are just wiping on a microscopic coating. I've never had an issue with finishes being affected.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Keys View Post
    On the wall above this storage unit (behind me as I stand at the bench) is a 4'x8' sheet of pegboard that I currently hang tools from.
    I went through a similar problem up here in Oregon. Basically, anything left exposed to the air is going to get morning dew on it which will result in rust. For flat items, the simple fix is to cover the surfaces with cardboard. For my planes, I used Boeshield T-9 as a protectant and then the oil that Lie-Nielsen sells (quick wipe after each use). I also use plane socks (sold by Veritas and LN) which is a good intermediate step until you get a cabinet. For the cabinet, consider something that will seal air-tight and throw in some large desiccant packs (usually sold for gun safes).

build a chest/cabinet and install a golden rod. they work good. That and apply a good coat of wax to each tool.

I saw these while perusing Lee Valley. They seemed pretty interesting, not sure if they would help in your situation.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...31&cat=1,43456
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...67&cat=1,43456
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...78&cat=1,43456

Storing tools in an enclosed chest / cabinet definitely helps with rust. For one thing, it reduces the amount of dust (sawdust or otherwise) that collects on the tools; sawdust usually contains some moisture. Secondly, the enclosure reduces the temperature and humidity swings inside. Don't think that it can perform miracles though, unless you build an insulated, hermetically-sealed box. Even in moderate humidity rust will still form; it just happens at a slower pace. There are small-scale dehumidifier solutions that can be installed inside chests and cabinets, if it comes to that. GoldenRod is one product I've seen people here recommend.

From a rust-prevention standpoint, a traditional tool chest has a dust seal lip that mates with the lid, keeping out dust and moisture. A wall cabinet, if enclosed at all, typically has standard "kitchen cabinet" doors, which may have gaps. But perhaps the practical difference in inside humidity is minimal. I built a chest and have not used a tool cabinet, so I don't have comparative experience. But I do have experience in now storing my tools in a chest vs. out in the open in a humid Oregon basement. I have not had any rust problems since I built the chest even though, as life gets in the way, the tools suffer periods of disuse.

As far as accommodating a changing and growing set of tools, I think either a chest or cabinet can work, as long as you do not get too specific with the internal storage configuration. Stay away from french fitting and too many tiny compartments.

that third link is the golden rod. I have tried those drawer liners , but from Highland woodworking..... and it was only effective as a cushion from the cabinet shelf.

Get some blocks of camphor from the internet. Used to be sold in drug stores. Place one in the CLOSED tool chest,maybe 1 per drawer if air can't circulate in the chest.

This is what old time machinists(and me,too) used to do to keep their tools from rusting in places like ship yards. The camphor(synthetic is o.k..) leaves a tiny film on the tools as it slowly evaporates. I can't remember how many months a block will last,but it is several.

Do not store tools against an outside wall,nor in a box on the floor. put it up on a table,a foot or so from the wall.

I bought some colored dessicant beads off the net some years back to keep moisture out of my safe. They start out blue, and then once they absorb moisture, they turn blue. You can microwave them back to red. (Maybe I have the colors backwards, but you get the idea).

I'm not sure that'll work in Texas, though. I lived in Houston for a couple years. It was dryer in the shower than outside in a H-town summer.

At the very least, I would make/buy a good medium sized toolchest that you can place smaller planes/chisels/irons in. Take this chest inside at the end of each session. You'll still have to contend with steel tables and jointer planes, but at least yr shoulder and block planes'll stay spicnspan.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Keys View Post
    I need a little guidance on this issue. I'm new to woodworking. I have been putting together a basic set of tools and building skills as a hobby for the last two years or so. First, I'll tell you the current state of affairs and then the problems I'm facing...

My shop is half of a two car garage. I have built a woodworking bench that is floating in the middle of my shop space. Behind me as I stand at the bench are some repurposed storage units along the wall (someone was throwing them away). They are about 30" tall with an open shelf on which I set my planes for quick access, and drawers that hold drills and bits as well as some other items. The top of these units are for liquids (alcohol, naptha, polishes, paste wax, etc) and collecting clutter. On the wall above this storage unit (behind me as I stand at the bench) is a 4'x8' sheet of pegboard that I currently hang tools from. I use the standard 1/4" pegboard hardware you find at the BORG to hang and organize the tools. On the other wall I have in my shop space, the short one, is a repurposed desk that I use for guitar work.

I live in northeast Texas, which faces high humidity and temperatures for much of the year as well as frequent and large swings of both humidity and temperature. It isn't a kind environment for tools. Most of my tools are old ones that I've found at flea markets and antique stores, cleaned up, and put to use. The pegboard that I use for most of my tools was an idea from my dad's shop. He isn't a big woodworker, so most of his tools are general household stuff. I loved how organized his tools were, and how easy it was to grab what you needed in his shop, so I went with the pegboard too. I'm beginning to decide that the pegboard is great for household tools, but not ideal for woodworking tools. Even though I've gone to religiously coating tools with oil and paste wax, I still have rust to deal with regularly on my woodworking tools. A little rust on an old wrench or screwdriver isn't that big of a deal but it's a bigger problem on saw plates and chisels. The pegboard isn't quite as handy for the woodworking tools either as I would prefer to have the edge tools in wood holders of some sort that won't damage the edges and it would be nice to be able to move the holders to the tool tray of my bench when I'm working so that I don't have to keep turning around to grab what I need off the wall.

So I've decided that I may need to change my strategy on how I handle my woodworking tools due to the rust and the fact that the pegboard isn't as convenient for the woodworking tools as it is for the household stuff. I've heard some say that they fought rust issues much less after building a traditional tool chest for their woodworking tools. How many of you have found that to be the case?

The most basic decision I have to make is between a floor and wall chest. It's a small area, so floor space is at a premium. I do have the floor space for a traditional floor chest though if that turns out to be the best choice. The thing that makes the choice the most difficult for me is that my set of tools is still incomplete. I will undoubtedly need to add the following items as I tackle more projects: router plane, possibly a plow plane, a few more joinery saws, more marking, measuring, and layout tools, additional chisels, etc. Most of the people I see building chests have a pretty well defined set of tools that they use regularly so they can build the chest around those needs. I have a "work in progress" set of tools, so the beautiful wall chests that utilize every last 1/8" of space perfectly are not a possibility for me yet. I have to build something that will work for what I have now as well as what will be coming later, but I don't know exactly what will be coming later.

I need to build something that can accommodate my growing set of tools, help prevent rust as much as is possible in my climate, and make the best use of space possible. What do you guys think my best choices are?

PS, I know that the best rust inhibitor is using the tools regularly. The problem is that it's often 120* in my garage during the summer months, and so my tools are undoubtedly going to see significant periods where they don't get used because it's just too hot. I am doing this for fun after all...

Thanks,
    D
    Tool chest(s) or tool cabinets. Nothing prevents rust like a thin layer of Vaseline. Frankly, you could leave them on the pegboard and they still wouldn't rust. If they will see significant periods of idleness, then removing the Vaseline won't be a hassle like it would if you were getting into the shop three or four times a week.

I have been using this:

http://eddiecastelin.com/yahoo_site_...x.54184013.pdf

You have to get mineral oil and beeswax to mix, but pesticide-free beeswax is available on ebay for $6 a pound and mineral oil is about $12 a gallon at a farm store or commercial kitchen supply place (and light mineral oil is useful enough to have around for all kinds of stuff, anyway).

I haven't gotten through the first quart in two years, and I've been putting it on everything from metal to tool handles. It doesn't dry hard (just rub some on in a thin coat), it doesn't stink, and it's never hard to get off of a tool.

Works great on cracked hands and lips in winter, too. It feels like a medium hard paste wax, but isn't nearly as hard as beeswax itself. And I suppose you could use it as a prep in turning, I've just never used it for that.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 07-20-2012 at 11:14 AM.