Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jigsaws

Jigsaws

I'm wondering has anyone own the Bosch JS470EB and compared it to Festool trion jigsaw? Festool is $111 more

Can't help you with your question, but I have the Festool on my list of tools to buy. I have a DeWalt jigsaw and it blows air and dust in my face but leaves dust in front of the blade. So done with that!

I have drunk the green kool-aid, and it is good.

Curious to hear about other jigsaws that don't blow in your face.

The first question I would ask is do you need the Nth degree of jigsaw "quality". On site installers I would expect yes, a fine furniture maker with a bandsaw most of the time I expect that to be no. The Bosch is very good although putting a number to it is subjective to me it is 95% of the Festool and it just isn't a tool I use often or need the extra quality when I do. In any event you may want to see when the JS572 will be available, it looks to be much closer to the Festool and maybe jumps it in some respects since the Trion is pretty long in the tooth but I have no idea when the Carvex may get here.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

You probably want to track down a Bosch 1590 or 1591 depending on preference for D Handle or Barrel Grip. You will have to find a real tool store or buy online as the JS470EB is the "replacement" for the commercial quality Bosch Jig Saws for the BORGs. They are a sad excuse for the real thing but I'm sure there is a bunch more profit in the cheap chinese saws.

I also have the Festool Trion and find that it is VERY similar to the Bosch 1590/1591. Those are the two main jig saws that have the extra blade stabilization mechanism that helps both of them cut more accurately. The Festool has to be manually adjusted for different blade thickness and the Bosch 1590/1591 is automatic. The Bosch has a better blower to keep the blade area dust free. The dust extraction, anti-splinter, and variable speed mechanism vary slightly between the two with no clear "winner". I have a slight preference for the Bosch on big stuff and Festool on finer work - emphasis on SLIGHT.

They both use the same blades.

If you prefer a D-Handle Jig Saw the variable speed trigger with the speed dial controlling the max speed is a big advantage on the Bosch 1590. You set max speed with the dial and the trigger controls the speed up to that point. The barrel 1591 and both style Trions have only the speed dial and the switch is on/off. If you want a stackable case and dust control on the Bosch just order the 1590EVSL or 1591EVSL. If you don't car about cases, you can buy the dust mechanism for about $20.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 07-19-2012 at 11:54 PM. Reason: typo

I was thinking the 1590/1591 was discontinued! DOH! Those are every bit the equal of the Trion one can argue either way over the tiny stuff though.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Van,
    Home Depot and Lowes are certainly saying that. At the last Bosch event at my local tool supplier, the Bosch reps claimed that they just went "Pro only" and come packaged in the Sortimo case with the dust extraction option for around $195. The part number just changes in the last digit from a "K" to an "L". They did say they would eventually be replaced by a new "pro" jig saw, which I just figured out from your post is the JS572.

Thanks

I guess i will be getting the 1591EVSL
    Last edited by Steven Hsieh; 07-20-2012 at 4:38 PM.

Blog Entries

Bosch

Try googling. '.
    Cpo Bosch.

I have the Festool jig saw and think it's great. Expensive, yes ($300). The fit and finish are probably the best of any. The zero clearance insert, however, is the main difference in cut quality after the guides. Jig saws tear out on the up stroke so Festool put a little plastic window that surrounds the blade, creating the zero clearance. Works great.

If there's a Bosch saw with a zero clearance capability, I'd try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gipson View Post
    I have the Festool jig saw and think it's great. Expensive, yes ($300). The fit and finish are probably the best of any. The zero clearance insert, however, is the main difference in cut quality after the guides. Jig saws tear out on the up stroke so Festool put a little plastic window that surrounds the blade, creating the zero clearance. Works great.

If there's a Bosch saw with a zero clearance capability, I'd try it.
    The 1590/1591 has a ZCI and the 572 does also but it hasn't been released yet.

Holey moley, there's a dust extraction accessory for my 1590?? It's an awesome jig and the only thing I've ever felt was missing on it was dust/chip collection!

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Holey moley, there's a dust extraction accessory for my 1590?? It's an awesome jig and the only thing I've ever felt was missing on it was dust/chip collection!
    Victor, I think this is what you are looking for, verify it before you pony up the cash!
    http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-JA1005-J.../dp/B0009H5KO0

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    You probably want to track down a Bosch 1590 or 1591 depending on preference for D Handle or Barrel Grip. You will have to find a real tool store or buy online as the JS470EB is the "replacement" for the commercial quality Bosch Jig Saws for the BORGs. They are a sad excuse for the real thing but I'm sure there is a bunch more profit in the cheap chinese saws.

I also have the Festool Trion and find that it is VERY similar to the Bosch 1590/1591. Those are the two main jig saws that have the extra blade stabilization mechanism that helps both of them cut more accurately. The Festool has to be manually adjusted for different blade thickness and the Bosch 1590/1591 is automatic. The Bosch has a better blower to keep the blade area dust free. The dust extraction, anti-splinter, and variable speed mechanism vary slightly between the two with no clear "winner". I have a slight preference for the Bosch on big stuff and Festool on finer work - emphasis on SLIGHT.

They both use the same blades.

If you prefer a D-Handle Jig Saw the variable speed trigger with the speed dial controlling the max speed is a big advantage on the Bosch 1590. You set max speed with the dial and the trigger controls the speed up to that point. The barrel 1591 and both style Trions have only the speed dial and the switch is on/off. If you want a stackable case and dust control on the Bosch just order the 1590EVSL or 1591EVSL. If you don't car about cases, you can buy the dust mechanism for about $20.
    Cannot say it better.

I had a Bosch 1587 and bought a used Festool, the older model (FS2E?) I had only 2 reasons for doing so: 1) I wanted a barrel grip, and 2) I got a decent price on the Festool. If 2 hadn't happened and I'd found a Bosch instead I'd have gone for that.

Granted I'm comparing older models, but from a quality perspective they are very comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Victor, I think this is what you are looking for, verify it before you pony up the cash!
    http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-JA1005-J.../dp/B0009H5KO0
    Thanks Van...looks to be the ticket!