Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Design Issue--looking for ideas

Kitchen Design Issue--looking for ideas

Our fridge is currently located right next to a wall. There's a passageway, but the part of the wall sticking out limits the door to opening 90 degrees. That's not bad now except that there's some slight damage to the door from hitting the wall. If we go to a side by side fridge a 90 degree limit makes things really tight. Going down the wall from the fridge, there's currently a 21" cabinet, the dishwasher, and the sink.

The fridge space is currently under 33" (makes buying a fridge REAL fun!) In order to fit a 36" fridge opening, I need to go down to a 17" cabinet if I leave the fridge where it is.

I'm considering moving the fridge to be right next to the dishwasher (I'd need a small divider, call it 2", to support the end of the counter) then putting a 15" cabinet on the other side. I'm envisioning something a full 24" deep. Drawers on the bottom, then a cabinet with pullouts from roughly the counter height up to 72" then another cabinet at the top to match the ones over the fridge.

We'd probably use the cabinets for seldom-used items. It would make a great pantry, but we've already got a pantry closet. Changes to the wall are not feasible.

Anyone seen anything like this?

The only downside is that I see is obvious.. You interrupt a previousliy continuous counterspace (I'm assuming the fridge used to be on the end), so you lose roughly 17" from the sink side. (I am assuming the sink is next to the dishwasher).. However, the dishwasher should give you enough space to hold dishes for washing.. I forget the exact recommendation for the amount of counterspace you are supposed to have on either side of the sink, but the DW space should be adequate. You should also have adequate space to put things down after you take them out of the fridge (as long as you keep the dishes washed lol)

There's plenty of uses for that 17" of counterspace on the other side of the fridge.. coffee maker, toaster oven, etc.
    If this new layout makes your fridge more usable, I think it's a good idea.

Oh, you ask if I have seen this done.. Yes, I have seen a fridge done like this several times, often when the fridge has the "built in" look.

Drawing please.

Paul, I wasn't envisioning there being counter. I think it would be a dark cave. And adding the panel on that side of the fridge would reduce it further.

Just finished drawing it up.

kitchen new fridge layout.jpg

I'm not convinced I like the look of the drawers but one of them is the silverware drawer. Need to continue playing with the design.

I think this is a good solution.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I have a friend whose kitchen has the same configuration, but the cabinet closest the door is maybe 18" width. It works much better than having the fridge door swing into the door opening. In their case it is the primary entrance to the home as well which exacerbates the problem. I don't see a better solution personally.

Matt, I think that looks good.

I have that same fridge. Don't like it. Connie and I prefer the freezer drawer on bottom.

Todd

We are looking at the french door ones too. One thing I don't like is that the ice maker ends up in the fridge and you loose a space about the size of 2 gallons of milk plus a bunch of the left door. In the side by side that's all lost to the freezer, which we don't really use all that much since we've got a chest freezer in the basement.

I'll post an update later--I think we are going to go with a door on the bottom and this will in fact become a pantry. Then the closet pantry can be used more for storing large items since it doesn't work all that well for cans, cereal, etc. The far upper cabinet will get baking tray dividers and those will move up there since we don't bake much. The current baking sheet cabinet will become a spice rollout. Then the current lazy susan, which I hate, will become just a corner cabinet. We actually gain a TON of storage by doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Johnstone View Post
    The only downside is that I see is obvious.. You interrupt a previousliy continuous counterspace
    This would be my concern, too.

I feel for you as our refrigerator must be in an unfortunate area near the kitchen door (to the outside). Right now, it's pretty manageable as we have a 24" (counter) depth unit, but it was purchased in 2000 and will need to be replaced soon. We really need more space and want a French door type to replace the current one, but the choices in 24" depth that also meet our requirement for on-door water/ice are dismal. Going to a "standard" depth refrigerator will bring into play more conflict with the kitchen door, even with the French doors. There really isn't a workable way to change the position of the refrigerator in the kitchen much, if at all. Nature of the beast...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Matt,
    I faced the same problem. We bought a Kenmore with just water on the outside of the door. The icemaker is down in the freezer drawer. You don't lose the space in the refrigerator, which we like. I ended up moving the fridge to the spot I had my dishwasher and the dishwasher to where my fridge was. With some Pex piping you can put the dishwasher where you want it. I also raised mine about 6" up, so I don't have to bend as much. My plumber did it originally for me, but it was easy to move it to another location. Looking at your layout, it looks like you have a good solution. Here is a picture of my dishwasher where my refrigerator used to be. My wife is making me finish the basement remodel before I tackle our kitchen cabinets.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Rude View Post

My wife is making me finish the basement remodel before I tackle our kitchen cabinets.
    I dont understand this comment. Doesnt she know that, "you cannot have too many projects 15% complete......" ?

I've seen the raised dishwasher before but I don't think it would work here. It would be nice though!

We're getting excited about the pantry cabinet idea. Saw some cool ideas for it at Home Depot last night--a tray for cell phones, chargers, keys, etc. and a magnetic whiteboard on the inside of the cabinet which could take the place of sticking stuff on the fridge (which I assume doesn't work on stainless anyway?)

Correct, real stainless is not magnetic.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Paul, I wasn't envisioning there being counter. I think it would be a dark cave. And adding the panel on that side of the fridge would reduce it further.

Ok, the drawing now makes sense..

I guess if it were me, I'd go ahead and make the change. From a practical point of view, if this change lets you open the fridge doors correctly, I think it's worth losing some counterspace.

Think I like your plan. The offset uppers makes the kitchen look very cool, and gives you a taller cabinet over the refrig.