Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planer upgrade questions

Quote Originally Posted by Jules Dominguez
    I've decided on the DeWalt 735, which is a pretty heavy-duty benchtop, as Jim points out. And the next thing I make in the shop will be the sled described in the article on page 58 of the February 2005 issue of Fine Woodworking, "Flatten Boards Without a Jointer". It's a really well-thought-out and designed jig. You can view a video demo of it on the Fine Woodworking website.

So many experienced woodworkers have said that a jointer is a must, Mike, it makes me wonder if I'm swimming upstream trying to do without one. And I certainly appreciate the advice. Maybe I'm just hardheaded. If my future projects change my mind for me I'll be back, asking which one I should buy.

Jules, I can't imagine doing wood working without a jointer. The sled idea is great but I wouldn't want to have to use it for every board I had to flatten. The main idea of the sled was not really to do every board with it. It was mainly for boards that were too wide for your jointer. Of course you can use the sled for anything but I'll bet you buy a jointer soon after doing some projects. I'm thinking of trading up to a 8" soon. Good luck. Alan
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Hi Jules,

In my humble opinion, you will enjoy your woodworking projects much more if you have a decent jointer. The key issue is not so much the finished appearance of the wood, as it is the ease and accuracy of assembly. Out of square edges and surfaces mean out of square joints in the corners. Getting everything square without a jointer, or getting out-of-square stock to come together squarely will increase your frustration level by at least a factor of 10. Particularly with with stacking caseworks (barrister bookcases), squareness/flatness will be essential.

Of course, master cabinet makers have been producing wonderful furniture and casework with perfect joints without any electric tools for several thousand years, and there are a lot of woodworkers that revel in the challenge. But it sure seems like a lot of extra work to me.