Thread: Jointer specifications, what is adequate vs. better?

Jointer specifications, what is adequate vs. better?

I've seen lately where folks have posted various 8" jointers on sale from Grizzly and I've looked at those as well as others. I'm beginning to wonder what specifications are the most important for what is a fairly simple tool.

1. Horsepower, what is enough? what is better vs. adequate?

2. Number of blades, what is enough? what is better vs. adequate?

3. Bedlength, what is enough? what is better vs. adequate?

4. Dust collection, what is good vs. adequate?

Anything else I'm missing?
    Dave in Flowery Branch, GA

On another forum I frequent, the issue of 3 vs. 4 knives came up and I asked. One of the posters responded that cuts per inch are what's important in getting a smooth cut, and slowing down the feed rate on a 3 knife jointer can give the same number of cuts per inch. He also pointed out that you have to set an additional knife, which usually isn't a fun job with 3.

I didn't see anything about dust colletion in my research, leading me to believe that there aren't significant differences.

After recieving the Grizzly email this AM, I did some research in the archive here and on the Badger Pond CDROM. I found very few unhappy with the G1018 or the G0500 which is essentially the same jointer as the new model.

It really all depends on how the machine will be used.

You are right, a jointer is a pretty simple machine. It puts an edge and a face, plus you can bevel and rabbet. That's pretty much it.

If you are a weekend warrior hobbyist then honestly any jointer will do the basic job. If you value your time and your work then be prepared to spend some money.

Do you work with long (over 8' ) boards?
    Do you work with wide stock?
    Hardwoods? Softwoods?
    Exotics?
    Figured?

These are just my opinions.
    Minimums:
    8"
    2hp
    3 knives
    70" bed
    make sure it's heavy
    easy blade change (Tersa)

Then just pick your favourite colour, pick a reputable retailer or preferably a local dealer and have fun.

I have to agree with Nick. The only thing different is that while Tersa cutterheads are nice I wouldn't put them in the necessary category. Everything above this baseline is just extra. If you work extensively with wide boards (over 8") then width becomes a big issue but for the rest of us this is it.

I have a Grizzly G1018 jointer. It has pretty minimal specs for an 8" jointer. I have a 3 knife cutterhead. The cut is smooth enough for me, I wouldn't want a 4-knife because I'd just have to set another knife.
    I've never thought that more than the 1.5 HP was necessary. Maybe 4 kinves would chew a little more HP?
    I do sometimes wish my tables were longer ... until I look at how much space it already takes up.
    Dust collection works just fine.
    My biggest wish is a wider cutterhead.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter