Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washington County, Maryland Woodworkers

Washington County, Maryland Woodworkers

Wow... Let me start by saying that I am disappointed. Really. I'm almost speachless... No, I'm not speachless. I have LOT to say about this. And I hope it reaches those in my area. There HAS to be talent in this county!

My county, Washington County in Maryland, does NOT have a county fair. We are...rural. We have a county AG Expo. Of that, I am actually kinda happy.

But, when looking at this year's "schedule" (something I've never looked at...usually go for the food and to see the baby animals) I noticed that there is not only an adult (19 and over) woodworkers section of the Arts, but also a woodTURNER'S section. I was actually pretty stoked! I thought, "I've gotta go see this." I was 1/2 joking with my wife that I need to go check out the "competition" before I would consider entering anything of mine. So, it was placed on my calendar that on the 21st of July at 5pm, the woodworking AND wood turning pieces would be on display for the public.

I showed up at about 5:15, admittedly a little nervous and anxious. I made my way to the building where the "adult" arts were held. Many beautiful photos, painting, bakery, etc. I found the woodworking section... My heart SANK! There were maybe 10 or so items. At least 5 of which were from ONE woodworker. And only ONE of those 10 pieces was a turning. A very simple bowl. Something that would have gotten a bunch of attaboys here on the Creek. Nothing that would have elicited ANY "wow"s. While there was one piece that had some pyro (wild animals) on a stool/bench, even that was...okay. I mean NO disrespect to that artist. And I AM very glad that he contributes/contributed. My point is, rather, that this county HAS to have more to offer. I mean, I am a resident here, and I did not enter anything. So, there MUST be more, like me, that turn, create, build...just that aren't participating.

My hope is that this reaches some other Washington County,MD residents that turn, create, build with wood. I hope that next year, WHEN I submit my entries, we will fill an entire section...not just the end of a table.

And for anyone else out there that lives in a different county and/or state...PARTICIPATE in you county fair/expo/whatever if they have an adult woodworking/wood turning division of their arts section.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Partner, I literally live across the Potomac from WashCo...we have a Youth Fair here in Berkeley Co,and have since I can remember(I've lived here all my 56 yrs), but we have virtually no WW section. We do have places for 4-H kids to present what they've built, but it MAY include 1 or 2 items at best. crafts are getting fewer and fewer, as well as the animal exhibits.. it's now just a cranival for all intents and purposes. that's the price one pays for "growth", I guess. I understand your dismay, but it's not going to get any better if the direction keeps going the way it has been.
    Give an honest days work for an honest days pay

Hi mike,I too found very little competition at LA county fair several years have passed i now display my work at the OC fair.Met some great woodworker during the judges walk on Thrusday.A very talented group of turners and craftsman show their work wish i had taken some pics of the exhibits.I did get ribbons for my entrys so i was happy even when they said my bulbinga step stool didn't have a wow factor.I was thinking pick it up with one hand and you,ll say wow thats heavy. Bye Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images

Andrew, in the thumbnail version of your step stool, I thought...okay, he entered a step stool... But when I enlarged the pic, WOW! I mean, not only is it made of figured Bubinga (which is an expensive, quality wood) and not pine, not only is it not simply but jointed, but dovetailed, and not only are the outside edges softened, but the inside edges are rounded/softened as well, but it is probably sturdy enough to be used on a daily basis and be around 100 years from now! Job VERY well done. I think you ought to be proud of that...as I'm sure you are. That would be far and away the BEST piece of woodworking that our Expo had...nothing even remotely close. I'd like to change that by getting local woodworkers involved. Wanna move to Maryland?
    I drink, therefore I am.

Mike: I am a little to your east, in Howard County. We do have a nice county fair each August and I live a stone's throw from the fair grounds, but I can't say that I have been particularly overwhelmed by the woodworking offerings there. It is too bad. What I would love to see is a dedicated woodworkers show come to the Ho Co or Frederick Co. fairgrounds, an event with tool and wood vendors, exhibits, demonstrations and classes.

Just to throw it out, I have a small, 15' x 9', shop here in Frederick County. I don't compete in the woodworker's display for the Frederick Fair because I am just getting started, but I typically enter my homemade wines and meads in the homebrew category. Maybe us Marylander's here can get together.

Hey, Marylanders unite! I'm in Western Howard. Maybe we should either find an organized venue, or set a date, say, sometime in the winter, were we will have a gathering/display at a central location (a small, uncrowded restaurant or bar on a week night?) and each display a piece for bystanders to 'judge.' We' could each throw like 20 bucks each into a pot, and split it somehow between 1st/2nd/3rd place, based on the votes from people who have probably never touched a chisel or router.

I too have a small shop - one room in my finished basement - but would love to participate in something like this. My piece would be humble, for fun, but I can devote a an hour or two/week on a project until 'show' day. Good food for thought?

Interesting thought, guys. Let's think about this... Funny how we are all from different counties (though I lived in all three).
    I drink, therefore I am.

Hi mike.. I'm from Frederick

Blog Entries
    Andrew,

That is a very nice piece - great job! I know what you mean about the LA fair. I live in Ventura county. Next year I think I'll enter the professional class just to face better competition. I am lucky that there are some really talented woodworkers in VC.

Could you do me a favor and post the underside of the stepstool? I am very curious as to how you handled the joinery from below.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Hi mike,I too found very little competition at LA county fair several years have passed i now display my work at the OC fair.Met some great woodworker during the judges walk on Thrusday.A very talented group of turners and craftsman show their work wish i had taken some pics of the exhibits.I did get ribbons for my entrys so i was happy even when they said my bulbinga step stool didn't have a wow factor.I was thinking pick it up with one hand and you,ll say wow thats heavy. Bye Andrew
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    I wonder if we could pull off some local "chapters" get togethers. There are very talented woodworkers everywhere but few seem to enter the organized competitions. Let us know if it works in Maryland.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Camillo View Post
    Hey, Marylanders unite! I'm in Western Howard. Maybe we should either find an organized venue, or set a date, say, sometime in the winter, were we will have a gathering/display at a central location (a small, uncrowded restaurant or bar on a week night?) and each display a piece for bystanders to 'judge.' We' could each throw like 20 bucks each into a pot, and split it somehow between 1st/2nd/3rd place, based on the votes from people who have probably never touched a chisel or router.

I too have a small shop - one room in my finished basement - but would love to participate in something like this. My piece would be humble, for fun, but I can devote a an hour or two/week on a project until 'show' day. Good food for thought?
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Oh, sorry, Mr. Elliott. You aren't included in our little reindeer games... You'll have to get together with your own friends. They are likely turners. Pansies, most likely. We don't want any of them in OUR group! However, IF you submit some samples of your work, John, Dave, Jack and I will scrutinize them to see if they are worthy of our "club". Guys, can you believe the riff-raff that is trying to hop on our bandwagon? Sheesh...

Just to be clear...Peter and I are buds and are members of a local turning club together...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Shawn, we'll let you know! Actually, through the Creek, we have formed a local turning club. It has worked out really well!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Sure Shawn,I will pick it up next month when the fair is over.

Most of my woodworking has been wine racks, some shop tool cabinets, a couple of boxes, and butchering wood on my scrolllsaw. I have not done any woodturning only because I do not have a lathe,yet. Though it does sound like I will be getting a free Shopsmith along with 16 or so lathe chisels from a friend. I may need to meet up with some local woodturners and woodworkers for some help on woodturning.