Thread: sword for a friend

sword for a friend

I've wanted to make a sword for a friend/neighbor who has been bugging me for one for a while (it has gotten to be a running joke..."when can you make my sword?" He'll ask, "I've already made it, it's in the shop man, give me a beer and then let's go and get it".)

He has never really had an expectation to get the sword, and it really is a fun and running joke between us.

This joke has been going on a while... almost 4 years....

At any rate, he moved away about a year ago but is coming back for a visit and I thought I'd surprise him, FINALLY, with his sword. He is a HUGE vikings fan too, so the name/symbol should make him smile. The sword is for his wall in his "man cave" and probably wouldn't survive more than a swing or two-- it is for show only.

The wood is pi...pi... domestic conifer... and was carved on my Carvewright. The finish is 2 coats of white/grey primer followed by satin dark bronze (almost looks like metallic black) followed by silver rub-n-buff on the blade and antique rub-n-buff on the hilt. I then wrapped the handle in leather and painted the "stone" with ruby colored enamel model paint.

Thanks for looking, and as always, comments are appreciated.

Lawrence

Very cool! He's gonna love it.

Dual Anyone?

I have to admit, that your sword puts these to shame, but there is something to be said for a lighter blade. I made one of these with some help of the older brother several months ago, and then I had no choice but to make a second one. There was a request made that they be somewhat unique as to tell them apart. Yellow pine scraps, a little scrap Oak for one handle and walnut for the other.
    They have seen some action - which kind of shows. Next time, I'll have to make the blade out of hickory

ToySwords.jpgToySwords2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's just too cool. Great work and I'm sure he will love it.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Very cool project!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.