Thread: oddball shaper cutters

oddball shaper cutters

Found these on CL. Look familiar to anyone?

cutters.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can see the pics well enough on my phone, but they look like the old jeseda stuff, although the color is more like Amana stuff. Any name on the boxes?

I think Peter is right, they're Jesada type insert cutter heads although they may not necessarily be Jesada. I think Freud had a similar line of insert tooling at one time too. In general, I think there were limitations about how fast these heads could rotate safely and I seem to remember that the knives were not carbide steel.

Buyer thinks they came from Grainger, but not sure that helps. Boxes have generic markings like: CRP-2 (carbide raidsed panel two wing?) Comes with 25 sets of knives! Doesn't look like quality stuff to me.

The Jesada cutter I have is green, and its very high quality. Its a drawer lock cutter, I think paid < $20 for it brand new at a flea market. I figured if I threw it out when dull its still cheaper than a router bit. I've read that woodtechtooling sells replacement inserts for Jesada shaper heads. I also read that Jesada manufactured shaper cutters for other vendors, so it could be their stuff, or it could be some generic tooling from any number of manufacturers. I guess with 25 pairs of carbide knives it may be a long time before you care if inserts are available! I'd be curious to hear how it spins.