Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Needed--Pricing Hand Tools / Planes

Mark brings up a good point. Looking at the sale price of completed listings of handsaws, for example, I think, will exemplify this quite well - good photos and a good reputation go a long way with saw prices. (Of course, a lot of the price differential there is someone skilled tuning and sharpening the saw in question as well)

When doing this research, make sure you look at completed*listings, and of those listings that have sold, look at a few of them. There's a few tool sellers out there that list things at incredibly high buy it now prices, and leave it up to see what sticks. Sometimes they're lucky, sometimes something stays there for years getting lowered every month or so. You can see how some sellers who don't know what to charge for something often get caught up and and also price their things rather high, seemingly based on the high prices someone else is asking. (And probably not actually getting.)

If you're looking for maximum return on a tool sale, it seems like the best thing you can do is wait until just after Chris Schwarz or Popular Woodworking mentions the tool somewhere.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Hi all,

Thank you again for your guidance. I truly appreciate it! I also appreciate the tip about using e-bay's completed sales search function. It really helps!
    This is a great community and I've learned quite a bit in the past year and a half of my membership. One feature that I wish the site had, however, is some sort of user / seller rating system (i.e. like e-bay). That way people would know if buyers / sellers treated them well and if they were happy with the overall experience. That aside, I am grateful for the generosity of help and information I've found here.

Sincerely,

Noah

One thing to watch out for is the fact that tool sales seem to b cyclical?..what is a hot seller today can go for peanuts next month and vice versa...watch ebay closely and try to get a feel for the trends..and set limits and stick with them!
    Brian