Thread: Radial Arm Saw Dust Control

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Radial Arm Saw Dust Control

Well I finally moved into the 21st century and added an AC unit to my shop. So now I no longer work with the garage door and back door open. I used to have these 2 doors open and 2 squirrel cage fans creating a serious cross breeze. This previous set up allowed me to be pretty slack in the DC department. Anything my PM1900 didn't get would be blown out the garage door. I took full advantage of this and had my 14" DeWalt model GA positioned right beside the door and skipped hooking it up to the DC.

So now with the shop at a nice and cool 78 degrees (insert stealth gloat ) I decided to relocate the RAS to make it "closed door" friendly. I pirated some technology from lumberjocks and built this little dust chute seen in the pictures. Once I get a bit more free time I'll slice through it with a dado blade to hopefully make it a little better. As it is right now I am tremendously impressed with it's ability to catch the dust. I still keep the shop vac connected to the blade guard and don't plan on removing that until the future when I go cyclone and 6" drops with 8" main.

Also I saw on here where a guy did a RAS DC chute that was under the sawblade kerf and he had excellent results. I'm seriously considering adding that to the package if/when I make another table. Another thing of interest might be to add a downdraft feature along the blade kerf in the table.

But I'm happy today, here is what it amounts to....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.