Thread: 3 Sisters - #1 and #2

3 Sisters - #1 and #2

I have a friend that has 3 sisters. He's done a lot for me lately and so as a thank you I offered to turn big bowls for each of his sisters. He thought they would like simple, user bowls and requested Walnut for one of them and my choice for the other 2.

The 1st one is Mesquite, 11 1/4" x 3 1/2" with a couple coats of walnut oil so far. Mesquite really soaks up walnut oil, so it will probably get a few more applications. The blank had a couple of pith cracks running through it, which I filled with CA.

The 2nd one is Walnut which I rough turned a couple of weeks ago, and finished up tonight. It's 11 1/2" x 3 1/4" with a coat of Walnut oil. The pics don't show it well, but it's got a strip of curl running across it and it's got very nice color.
    The bottoms on both are still bare, still need to sign them then I'll get them finished up.
    I'll start on the 3rd on later this week, as soon as I decide on a blank.

PICT0004-001.JPGPICT0002-001.JPG PICT0006-001.JPG
    PICT0011.JPGPICT0014.JPGPICT0012.JPG
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

my preference is for the 2nd bowl..like the shape & color
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Those look great!

4. Purdy stuff, there K! The sisters ought to be finely pleased!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Both very nice bowls Kathy. I agree, the sister's will be pleased!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Great looking bowls. They will be tickled with those.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Kathy, definitely some nice bowls, they will be appreciated. The walnut would have to be my favored.

"The best things in life are not things."

Great looking bowls Kathy! I have turned a couple pieces of your mesquite and I understand about them "drinking up" the walnut oil. I will post when the second ones thirst is finally quenched!

I really like the colors of both bowls, nice selections. On the mesquite I can't tell if you tried to make a detail around the outside about 1" down from the rim, or if that's a tool mark that didn't get removed? If it's a detail, I'd make it more pronounced so you can tell it was intentional. Also why on earth did you leave the pith in? I would have found a new blank or turned it and the cracks away. With the pith and crack lines you would have lost I'm guessing at least an 1" to 1-1/2", and ended up with a 2" tall bowl so I would have found a new blank.

I like the shape of the mesquite bowl better, the walnut bowl bottom looks too heavy (flat) for me. I'm curious why you don't finish the bottom and sign it before applying any oil at all? Do you oil them on the lathe?

I made an 11" walnut salad bowl a few years ago that looks almost exactly like both of yours (shape and size), and it's one of my favorite bowls. Looking at your pictures is almost like I'm looking at a picture of my own bowl.
    DSC03866.jpg