Thread: Looking for feedback advice on selling my tools

Looking for feedback advice on selling my tools

Hello Everyone.

It has been a long time since I have been on the site and I am back seeking some advice. Long story is that I started having health issues a few years back and that caused me to put my hobby on hold. Time has passed and I am still not able to use my tools. Can't really see any reason to hold onto them any longer. Any more I just keep the surfaces cleaned and waxed so that they don't rust up.

I think that I should let them go and get used by someone that can really enjoy them and make something from them. My question is how would you sell out if it was you? Here on Sawmill, CraigsList, Ebay? What kind of market is out there these days?

I was only a hobbyest and haven't used these since 2010. Bought most everything around 2006-7.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-25-2012 at 7:27 AM.

It can't hurt to list the equipment here on SMC, and the price is right -- you only need to be a contributor. But the big items are really only going to go to the area right around you -- that is, local pick-up. Shipping them is going to be a big hassle, and expensive too. The nice thing about Craigslist is that it is inherently local. So that's where I'd list them.

Don't try to sell the tools as a single package deal. It is extremely rare that somebody needs everything that you have. Instead, price each major piece separately, and expect them to go to several buyers.

People are always looking for good deals on good tools, but I think the market is slightly depressed since the economy tanked ~ 2008. They're worth whatever someone is willing to pay, but the general rule of thumb is 50% of new, with some variance considerations for condition, age, initial quality, extras, etc. Your tools appear to be in excellent condition. Extras don't normally add a lot to the deals, but can make them more attractive to sell. You've got some nice solid popular tools, so you should get some interest if they're priced reasonably. Good luck!

Craigslist and SMC are good venues. Ebay will take close to 10% when all is said and done.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

If it were me I would start at about 60% of new cost and then entertain offers below that price. If using CL don't limit yourself to the Columbus area, for a good deal many people are willing to travel a couple of hours. Advertise in Ann Arbor, Detroit, Ft. Wayne and so on. Listing is free and only takes up some time.

crazy, 5 minutes later, now all the pictures are gone........

It doesn't hurt to list them for free on craigslist. Around my way there is a specialized consignment shop that deals strictly in used tools, I'm not sure how rare this is, but maybe it is something to look for in your area.
    -Havin' Fun All The While

Craigslist or or the classifieds here. Don't waste your time with EBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    Jeff, I live in SE OH and I'm in the market for a jointer. Please let me know (PM) when you decide prices. Thanks.

I posted this earlier, but it disappeared. Hopefully this doesn't duplicate my original post.
    SE Ohio? Hello to Athens (and Albany, Gallipolis, Parkersburg, et al) from me.

To Jeff: If you have popular modern tools, I would start higher than 50% of new. Indeed the market is down for used equipment (a lot of cabinet shops out of business in my area), but for the trendy stuff it still sells at a good price. I might start at 75% of new and come down from there on the big brand items. (for example if you have Lie Nielsen hand tools they will sell better than 50% of new. Same for other popular brands)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Jump View Post
    crazy, 5 minutes later, now all the pictures are gone........
    This type of post should be in the SawMill Creek Classifieds
    You need to be a Contributor...
    Classifieds Forum Rules

If you attempt to create a new thread and receive a notice that you do not have the proper permission you are a Member, only Contributors are allowed to create new Classified Ads or Post in this forum. For a $6 annual donation you can post here and in other private forums set aside only for Contributors. SMC is financed by both individual member contributions and by advertisements. That's what keeps the lights on here. Click Here to make a donation.

Buy and sell at your own risk! SawMill Creek, its parent company and our Staff are not responsible for any transaction.

The Classified forum is intended only for the use of Contributors for the occasional sale of their own surplus tools. It is not, nor has ever been, intended to permit third party, dealer or commercial sales. Examples of those would be "selling for a friend", liquidating an estate, liquidating a business, and other similar situations where the tools are not actually owned by the Contributor. Obviously, we rely on the honesty of the person making the posting, but do be aware that improper use of this forum could result in termination of privileges on SMC. Members can respond to ads via PM if they are interested in something that is for sale

We do not allow links to ebay in any of our forums.

The Classifieds Forum is not a discussion forum. Questions regarding item description, clarification, functionality, etc. are to be expected. However, questions or comments concerning price, value, etc. as well as any price negotiations should be addressed directly to the seller through the Private Messaging (PM) system.
    Carpe Lignum

when i sell tools, it's on CL. the few tiems i've tried to sell thru WW forums, i've found the buyers to be way too fussy and way too cheap.

Lie nielsen goes for 80%+ wish could find them for the 5/% of retail

Phil is correct our General Woodworking Forum is not the proper place for classified advertisements. I have both edited and deleted posts that would make this thread an advertisement, please stay on topic folks.

Blog Entries
    I don't know the extent of your health issues but if you don't want to mess with the sales, check around for a woodworkers guild or similar non-profit. Here in Kansas City, the KC Woodworkers Guild has been selling off a very large estate of tools. They take a fair percentage and a committee of members put an honest price on the items. As I understand it, the family has been more than pleased with the results. They have also been able to leverage a ready market of over 300 members plus non-members by word of mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Phil is correct our General Woodworking Forum is not the proper place for classified advertisements. I have both edited and deleted posts that would make this thread an advertisement, please stay on topic folks.
    Keith,

I don't disagree with you one bit. I fully read the rules of the classified section before I posted my question. You are right I am not a paid member at this time. At no time, did I place an ad on this site. No prices were asked. I asked for opinions of what they would do in my situation. I merely attached photos so that responders might have a better understanding of my situation and the quality of the tools and condition.

That said, It is your site and you make the rules. Won't happen again.