Thread: Jointer Dust Collection

Jointer Dust Collection

I have a grizzly 8" jointer with 4" dust port (G0490) and clearvue 1800 dust collector. I think the dust collection should be better than I am currently getting. The issue is when the board first hits the knives and it throws back a bunch of dust. Is this a problem all jointers and DCs have or could I improve this? I was thinking about increasing the 4" port to 6" since that is what I have running up to it.

How good should jointer DC be??

check inside the machine. Some of those jointers don't have a top over the chute to the head, just a ramped floor. I bent some sheet metal to create a tunnel and greatly improved the DC. Alan Schaffter did a neater installation and I think you will find info if you search here. Dave

Blog Entries
    David's got it. How old is the G0490 They come with the chute closed now but, when I bought my G0490X they did not. Closing it off is super simple (or complicated if you want it to be). Two pieces of flat scrap ply, a little silicone rubber and a few screws. Way easy to access with the sides off.

G0490X-belt-pulley-check-2011 (7).jpg

I ran 3/8" trusshead screws from inside the chute. That way there's not much for stringy spoil to snag on. I never get stuff on top of the tables (unless I forget to turn on the DC) and I am only running a lightly modified 1HP Delta bagger for the jointer.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-25-2012 at 1:52 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

It is quite old (6+ years?? probably more.). Before they had the shelix cutter head options.

I will have a look this weekend but it sounds like that should help a lot! Thanks guys.

Since you have a Clear Vue the chances are you would benefit significantly from enlarging the bore of the dust connection too - provided that is that the airflow is not restricted elsewhere in the hood, and that there is enough inlet area to equal that of the duct. Some machines (the Hammer A3 31/41 anyway) need a further small mod with e.g. a magnet epoxied in place to stop the extra airflow pulling a hinged/hanging flap out of place - so maybe check for anything like that too...

ian-

Here's my take on the Hammer - it uses a formed 160mm elbow pop riveted to the original plastic adaptor opened up to suit, and sealed with PU automotive sealer and foil tape:

low res A3 410 planer 160mm dust conn mod.jpg
    Last edited by ian maybury; 07-25-2012 at 7:23 PM.

6" should be twice as effective. Obviously, the internal chute drastically improves dusk pick-up. I used a 6" HVAC take-off and some 1/4" ply to replace my 4" port on my Delta DJ-20. Huge difference.
    Attached Images Attached Images

leaking from below

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Loran View Post
    I have a grizzly 8" jointer with 4" dust port (G0490) and clearvue 1800 dust collector. I think the dust collection should be better than I am currently getting. The issue is when the board first hits the knives and it throws back a bunch of dust. Is this a problem all jointers and DCs have or could I improve this? I was thinking about increasing the 4" port to 6" since that is what I have running up to it.

How good should jointer DC be??
    I had my '500 on a rollaround base. The base elevated the machine and opened up the underside to allow air to be drawn in from below. This reduced the suction at the cutter head. Dropping the jointer to the floor (no more stand) solved the problem completely.

Quote Originally Posted by ian maybury View Post
    Since you have a Clear Vue the chances are you would benefit significantly from enlarging the bore of the dust connection too - provided that is that the airflow is not restricted elsewhere in the hood, and that there is enough inlet area to equal that of the duct. Some machines (the Hammer A3 31/41 anyway) need a further small mod with e.g. a magnet epoxied in place to stop the extra airflow pulling a hinged/hanging flap out of place - so maybe check for anything like that too...

ian-

Here's my take on the Hammer - it uses a formed 160mm elbow pop riveted to the original plastic adaptor opened up to suit, and sealed with PU automotive sealer and foil tape:

low res A3 410 planer 160mm dust conn mod.jpg
    Thanks immensely, ian. I've been eyeing the A3 41 for some time but the DC limitation has always bothered me.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I have a much smaller DC (super gorilla 2hp) and it clears most all of the chip/dust from my 8" jointer using only a 4" port. I have not felt the need to open it up to 6".

So I am guessing the other posters are right and some relatively simple optimizations can be made in the cabinet.
    Good luck!
    Salem

This thread helped me out. I had been unhappy with collection from my PM 50, and had tried various alterations, with little success. The post about lowering the machine to the floor got me thinking, and I began looking at my set up again. While considering removing the 2X "feet" that the base cabinet sits on, I remembered the posts about the chute and looked again at mine. Sure enough, there open triangles on both sides at the top, where the top corners of the base cabinet are. Closed them off, and things are much better.