Thread: Phil Harris Visit

Phil Harris Visit

Yesterday when Phil stopped by with the chuck adaptor, he brought a couple of other items along as well.

phil_wood.jpg

From left to right, carob, juniper and oak. The one in the front is the one I'm most excited about. It's an olive trunk section. All of the pieces have some checking but I think I can get some decent blanks out of them. The olive log only has a few small checks so I'm very hopeful about that one. Phil showed me a mushroom he made from a piece of the olive and it's very nice looking wood. It was a very nice looking mushroom as well. He posted a pic of it here. I was not able to get away to go the the NorCal Woodturner's meeting with Phil but we had a nice chat and it's very cool to actually talk to a "real person" now and then!
    David DeCristoforo

good to have the right chuck adaptor, sounds like a good visit

I know I certainly enjoyed my visit, I got to see the "monster" up close and I got a tour of the tent, both very interesting. David, I believe that the chunk you identified as oak is bradford pear. After I left Davids home I went to his wife's cafe in downtown Davis and had an excellent lunch, and I noticed that he has several of his signiture works of art on display there. All in all a great "creeker visit".

Phil Harris

Bradford pear? Isn't that what I said? Did I say oak? Sorry about that... s'not oak! I'm cutting up that olive log today and it looks like it will throw off some nice blanks. A few of the end checks run all the way through the log so I cutting on those. I didn't realize you were going to the cafe for lunch. By the time I got there I was on the fly but if I'd had a "heads up" I would have told my wife to "comp" you the tamales! Next time, it's on me.
    David DeCristoforo

Free tamales at the woodturner's cafe ? What's the address ???

That olive mushroom of Phil's is impressive. Great looking wood. David...seems the bar has been set so cut them cracks out carefully.
    Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling
    Sierra Madre, California