Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot ....too hot in the turning studio!

Hot ....too hot in the turning studio!

To hot to turn! Got up to 98 degrees this afternoon......likely over 100 in the studio [aka "shop"]....I know that is cool by Arizona standards [that was for Kathy and Jon ] Don't have time for another go at the gavel from the SJPT this afternoon....after a couple of appointments, I have to build an exterior door for the building behind my "Studio"

I did get all the curlees cleaned up this morning from last nights try, and even managed to get my tablesaw all nice and clean and freshly waxed in anticipation of building that door this evening. New lockset and deadbolt on this door, and I am not only making look better, but enhancing security as well!

I think my lathe is lonesome..........I might have hurt its feelings by doing some flatwork!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

You can come and sweep my curlies and clean my table saw

Flatwork... blah...
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

I've been turning pens all day. Threw a bowl across the shop the other day because the hot glue on my glue block was soft from the heat. Figured I'd do a little small scale work until I get some evenings free or the wonderful NC summer calms down a bit.

Cry me a river Roger! I managed to turn three bowls in the last two weeks during breaks in the evening heat when the grarage finally got under 100 degrees at 9pm. The sweat and shavings cake that forms on the body is oh so fun.

Jon

Roger, same here up in MD.. I broke all HOA rules and put in a 12k BTU A/C facing the backyard. Man, it is sooooooo nice to have the shop at 78 with low humidity. I should have done this 5yrs ago! Lowes has a nice A/C for $309

Just waiting for the letter from my HOA.. to which I will ignore until I move.... but my neighbors are all good, so Im not too worried.

I've got a 10,000 BTU unit sitting on the bench until I can figure out where to cut the hole in the wall. I'm loathe to do it though. I can't even decide where to put the windows. But the A/C may not do much good with no insulation in the walls- even though the shop is only 16' x 20'...

It was 105° in my shop the other day.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Prouty View Post
    Cry me a river Roger! I managed to turn three bowls in the last two weeks during breaks in the evening heat when the grarage finally got under 100 degrees at 9pm. The sweat and shavings cake that forms on the body is oh so fun.

Jon
    now Jon..........I gave you and Kathy a shout out on my post......I had a feeling I would be hearing from you! According to the temp display in the car, it got to 100 degrees for a brief time this afternoon..........sure is humid as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    now Jon..........I gave you and Kathy a shout out on my post......I had a feeling I would be hearing from you! According to the temp display in the car, it got to 100 degrees for a brief time this afternoon..........sure is humid as well!
    You know I couldn't let your post slide past without a comment. I'll be thinking of all you folks when the snow starts falling and I am enjoying 60 degree days.

Jon

I am installing a ductless mini split heat pump in my shop now. I would recommend looking into one. It gives AC and heat and is much more energy efficient than a window unit!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Ben Martin View Post
    I am installing a ductless mini split heat pump in my shop now. I would recommend looking into one. It gives AC and heat and is much more energy efficient than a window unit!
    Ben...........thanks for that comment..........My shop has no insulation, however I did upgrade the roof a good bit when I rennovated the thing last fall and put on thicker T-111 siding. I have been thinking about putting some rigid insulation between the studs on the inside and think that would probably not take up too much space and also give me some more ability to maintain some degree of comfort in the winter.

That mini split system....is that available at Home Depot or Lowes? I hear that Mitsubishi makes some. Is there a need to cut a hole in the wall?

We've had a variety of ugly temps...98 to 108. If it'snot turned by 10am...it waits until tomorrow!!! Of course if I need to lose afew pounds...the sauna awaits.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Ben...........thanks for that comment..........My shop has no insulation, however I did upgrade the roof a good bit when I rennovated the thing last fall and put on thicker T-111 siding. I have been thinking about putting some rigid insulation between the studs on the inside and think that would probably not take up too much space and also give me some more ability to maintain some degree of comfort in the winter.

That mini split system....is that available at Home Depot or Lowes? I hear that Mitsubishi makes some. Is there a need to cut a hole in the wall?
    Roger,

I bought mine from this place, they most likely aren't available cash and carry via a BORG:

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/

I have been thoroughly impressed with Alpine thus far, they have an expert on call whenever I have a question (which luckily hasn't been more than twice). The unit I bought is a Fedder's 1.5T, it looks like they don't have them in stock anymore as they bought out the last of the manufacture's stock and sold them for cheap. I paid $880 for mine, and it is sized to be a bit oversized for my 780sf shop. I am doing the install myself and luckily have a buddy with the equipment to come and activate it. If you don't have a hook up, Alpine will call contractor's in your area to inspect your work and activate the unit, at your expense of course.

So far, the install has gone very easily. I have the outdoor unit hooked up, all I have is driling the hole in my wall to route the lines between the inside and outside unit.

Roger, I feel for you!! The black walnut that was giving my shop shade had to be taken down after the last big storm, or it would've crushed my shop. Now, the roof is in full sun all day long. I have a 36" belt drive fan, but when the temp is over 90 and so is the humidity, it feels like 110!! I'm working with some of the SJPT as well--some big shallow bowls. Sometimes I work without a shirt on, but not with oak!! The chips hurt. No pain, no gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Hawkes View Post
    Roger, I feel for you!! The black walnut that was giving my shop shade had to be taken down after the last big storm, or it would've crushed my shop. Now, the roof is in full sun all day long. I have a 36" belt drive fan, but when the temp is over 90 and so is the humidity, it feels like 110!! I'm working with some of the SJPT as well--some big shallow bowls. Sometimes I work without a shirt on, but not with oak!! The chips hurt. No pain, no gain.
    Sorry to hear about your walnut tree Nate.........at least you got some more wood to turn! Man........I don't think I could stand turning without a shirt.........something about sawdust and sweat together that makes me itch just thinking about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Martin View Post
    Roger,

I bought mine from this place, they most likely aren't available cash and carry via a BORG:

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/

I have been thoroughly impressed with Alpine thus far, they have an expert on call whenever I have a question (which luckily hasn't been more than twice). The unit I bought is a Fedder's 1.5T, it looks like they don't have them in stock anymore as they bought out the last of the manufacture's stock and sold them for cheap. I paid $880 for mine, and it is sized to be a bit oversized for my 780sf shop. I am doing the install myself and luckily have a buddy with the equipment to come and activate it. If you don't have a hook up, Alpine will call contractor's in your area to inspect your work and activate the unit, at your expense of course.

So far, the install has gone very easily. I have the outdoor unit hooked up, all I have is driling the hole in my wall to route the lines between the inside and outside unit.
    Thanks Ben...........I will check them out!