Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: They can't do this to me?

Unhappy They can't do this to me?

I'm devastated. The local municipal wood dump has contracted out their tree removal and all the wood is now hauled away by a private tree service. I have gotten hundreds of dollars worth of wood from there at no cost. I found a 30" stump of elm burl, walnut, 135 year old ash, hard and soft maple, figured box elder, white and red oak and many others. It looks like I'll have to start making more tree friends. Gotta have wood or I'll start to have withdrawal problems. This is serious. I'm already shaking.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Go talk to the private tree service... I bet those guys have no more use for it than the dump.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Sorry to hear about this! I agree with Jim - check with the company that is going to take over the service. Chances are they have no use for most of the wood we like to turn anyway! Good luck!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

It may be hard to find one that will allow me to roam over piles of wood like I could there. Most around here worry about liability. They will drop off wood or give it to you on site, but lost may be the venture of climbing and exploring for hidden wood. I've received wood from the cutters but the city dump was so - so - so convenient.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

We will have to go find a new source.

One word,,,,, MULCH! Tree services here in Indy will not give you anything because they turn it all into mulch and resell it. Mulch up here is a booming buisness.

Jack
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

I HATE mulch! I have watched the crews around here cut 25" diameter trunks into 6" high disks just so they can feed it into the chipper. Most of them are happy to give me all I can haul if I ask, though. The hard part is catching them before it is too late.

put adds on craigslist, Also, I dont know if you sell any of your work, but I had someone come into the gallery I sell my things in and give me wood from their tree, and then paid for a comisioned peice.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Bob had the same thing happen 2 yrs ago. Had free run of any wood that came into the landfill. They contracted out to a private company. Now they make chips for mulch and firewood. They want so much for like a 4 ft log I can buy wood cheaper. Sucks.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I feel your pain.

The landfill I go to restricted access to their wood dumping area. Now everything gets thrown into a dumpster now and it gets hauled to Area 51 twice a day or more.

that is painful..I've never had your access to free wood, so I've had to buy all these years..it is VERY expensive. The cost of your turnings has just skyrocketed..
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Check with your local metro parks. Many times when trees fall in the park that are blocking various pathways they will cut it and pile it in one location until the pile needs to be gotten rid of. Could be a new source although not quite as often.

Must be a national trend. Same thing happened to me in Peoria. Brings a tear to a guys eye. Did the same to the wife, but for other obvious reasons! Seems like I have a pretty healthy supply sitting in the shed, the garage, the garage attic, the house attic, my Mom's garage,......................You get the picture.

You might want to look at it from a different perspective and be grateful they let you take logs this long. I checked 4-5 years ago and around here nothing can leave the city dump sites for fear of spreading the emerald ash borers.
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 07-27-2012 at 11:12 AM.

The city dump sites here have been off limits for a few years now for the Emerald Ash borer and other pests. I'm sure there are some nice scores there but I've never looked since I know I can't take it home anyway.
    I've gotten lots of good stuff on Craigslist. Just gotta keep checking!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?