Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: felder or minimax

felder or minimax

now that the moons are coming in to alignment its time to decide on either a minimax st4 elite or felder kf700sp. both companies have good reputations. trying to compare the two is proving to be quite the challenge. i got two speced out and the are within about 1k of one another. i don't actually know anyone that owns a minimax but know several that have the felder. so what are peoples thoughts on the two?

I've got a Felder saw, and it's great. One thing though, if you get the felder, I would try to get a 1 1/4 spindle for the shaper. I think that 30mm is their standard, and a little bit of an odd ball for US.

Also, the felder people in Delaware rate pretty high in my opinion of customer service. I definitely would ride up and check out their operation.

The showroom at Felder in Delaware is pretty dinky and I don't recall seeing that particular machine on the floor when I dropped by a few weeks ago however you will get an idea of the overall quality of the mid-range Felder machines if you go. Looked to be quite good. I believe Minimax will try and point you to someone in your area that actually owns that same machine if you want to see one in person.

If you have time, go to the woodworking show in Atlanta in about 4 weeks.. I think it starts on the 20th ..

Both SCM and Felder will have good displays of their machinery on hand. Both make really nice stuff. Personally, I would go with customer service .. That is #1 .. Call the service departments for each company .. no specific time .. Get a feel for which customer service department you would rather deal with ..

Both machines are very nice .. Compare the little details .. Felder saw blades need a hole drilled in the side of them for a pin.. Not a big deal. Most all the blade companies can supply you with a blade for a Felder. A good friend and member here runs all Tenryu Blades on his Felder .. He say's they are very good..

Regarding IWF in Atlanta it is the 22-25 of August. SCMI will apparently have very few of the Minimax machines on site, using most of their room for their bigger machines, so if you want to see both or either I would contact MM and Felder to see what they will have on display to determine if it is worth the trip. Felder concentrates on a much smaller market than the full SCMI group so they are more likely to have smaller machines on display (since that is what they make).
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I also wasn't sure what to buy and made the choice based upon customer support in my area, which gave Felder the lead.

Look at both, look at the accessories and options (which it appears that you have already done), and ask about field service, parts stocks and locations...........Have fun..........Rod.

Just my opinion, but I have always felt the ball bearing sliding table mechanism on the minimax to be a weak point, and the most prone to wear. I'd put the "dumbbell" style that Altendorf uses as tops, and the X-roll second in line.

As far as a saw/shaper, I'm glad I didn't go that route. Constantly removing and replacing the shaper fence and feeder would be a PIA. Sure, having an 8' sliding table shaper would come in handy every once in a while, but not very often, and there's always a work around.

One other thing, I am reluctant to recommend anything Laguna, but I would take a look at their PP14 panel saw. Looks like a pretty nice saw for the money. You'd have enough money left over to buy a nice shaper.
    Last edited by joe milana; 07-27-2012 at 9:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joe milana View Post
    X-roll second in line.

As far as a saw/shaper, I'm glad I didn't go that route. Constantly removing and replacing the shaper fence and feeder would be a PIA. Sure, having an 8' sliding table shaper would come in handy every once in a while, but not very often, and there's always a work around.
    I think that it would depend on what you are planning to do. For raised panel doors, maybe the separate saw and shaper would be best. My opinion though is that the sliding table saw is just begging for a shaper and feeder.

First of all, tenons for tables, etc. The sliding table with good clamp would make it super easy. Breadboard table ends. Also, having a feeder on a saw is a big plus, and would help with safety as well. For preparing dimensioned lumber, you could rip one edge strait with the sliding table, then rip to width using the saw fence with feeder. All with good dust collection and your hand nowhere near the blade.

Also, there's no reason you can't have an extra shaper around for cuts using the shaper fence.

i'm doing a saw/shaper for space. like most i'm limited on space. i see more benefits to having the shaper w/the saw and slider then separates. sometime down the road if i get a bigger shop maybe i'll add a stand alone shaper.

Did you see the KF700S Pro on the Vancouver craigslist? Sweet!

I've been very pleased with my MiniMax machines...slider, J/P and bandsaw. Aside from liking the people and machines in general, what I liked about MM is the way they are very well equipped without having to deal with a lot of options choices and costs. Both brands are good, however, so in either case, you'll end up with a great tool in your shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by joe milana View Post
    Did you see the KF700S Pro on the Vancouver craigslist? Sweet!
    yes i saw it. already contacted him about it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hawxhurst View Post
    yes i saw it. already contacted him about it.
    I would be curious what kind of import tax would be involved with a purchase like that.

Minimax has provided good customer service for me, and that's not to say anything broke. Good people, looking to help.

The dumb bell roller design is an Altendorf design and not an easy one to adjust. I would not make any decision based on the slider bearing type. X Roll is probably the pick of the litter now but all high end sliders have smooth systems. Martin and SCMI use ball bearings, as does my Knapp. My 25 year old SCMI slider shows no wear on the ways or bearings after production use so it is unlikely that you could wear out any slider. Best condition for best price is the way to go. And stay with three phase. Dave