Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curly Koa Bowl

Curly Koa Bowl

Last year, a lady bought a curly koa pen from me for her husband as a Christmas gift. Apparently he loves it, so she came back to me to commission a piece for their 20th anniversary. I warned her that a large chunk of curly koa was going to be a little pricey, but it was still within her price range.

The gorgeous block of wood sat and stared at me for over a month because I was too afraid to touch it. But I finally got up the nerve, and here is the result.

Koa2.jpg

This pic (below) was snapped in direct (setting) sunlight before I could set up the background. It's my understanding the direct sunlight is usually a no-no, but I really like how the sunlight brought out the rich colors in the piece.

Koa1.jpg

9.5" x 2"

That's gorgeous Kenny! You definitely did the Koa justice! Can we get a profile shot too It looks like a lovely form!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Markham View Post
    That's gorgeous Kenny! You definitely did the Koa justice! Can we get a profile shot too It looks like a lovely form!
    Thanks, Rick! As I was posting this picture (and after I'd already taken down all my photo stuff), I realized I should have taken a profile shot. I'll do that this weekend and post it.

That's a gorgeous bowl Kenny! The wood is awesome, and your form shows the wood to great advantage. I'm sure your customer is going to be very happy with it!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

a gorgeous piece of wood! super job. Yes, do keep the bowl out of direct sun & tell your customer that too.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Beautiful piece. Beautiful wood. I have priced or watched pieces of Curly Koa on the auctions sites, they always end up soaring 5x's over any of my limits. I would be a little afraid of it too. Again, great piece.
    Deane
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

Beautiful bowl Kenny! Amazing how much more color and curl popped out with the sunlight! Your customer is going to love this! Very nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Beautiful bowl Kenny. I think we all have had chunks of wood that sat for a while for similar concerns. You really did this piece well to show off that Koa curl. I suspect the couple will really love it!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Fiddleback Koa commands very hefty prices and now everyone can see why not much reaches the mainland. A truly outstanding turning of an amazing piece of Koa! You should be very proud, up to the point where your hat no longer fits!!!

Beautiful bowl and wood Kenny. You definitely did that piece justice.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments! That made my day.

Deane, I picked up the block on ebay and the starting price was already really high and then someone someone else bid on it! At first I was nervous that I was paying too much, then I was afraid I wouldn't get it at all.

Here are some more pics, including some profile shots. The rim was inspired by a bowl I saw by Frank Clarke (500 Wood Bowls, p. 348). It looks traditional to me, and yet I don't seem to see it that often on turned bowls. So I've been doing that to a lot of my bowls lately.

Koa5.jpgKoa4.jpgKoa3.jpg

Blog Entries
    Exquisite bowl Kenny. I have some veneer that matches that. It's rare to find wood so beautiful that didn't end up veneer. Well done.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

13. Beautiful wood.....love the curl in the grain..........excellent form Kenny..........nice work!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Kenny, super nice my friend! Thank you for the profile shots. Koa is a special thing, you can certainly see why it was ALWAYS reserved for Hawaiian royalty!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Nice job on a beautiful piece of wood. You did not mention your finish but it looks like some oil was used to bring out the grain. I really like Koa and have brought some back from HI on visits, but most are still waiting for me to be qualified to touch. The Big Island Woodturners have a show usually in March and they have a lot of this incredible wood pieces, and this piece would fit in well.