Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could someone help me find a cutter, similiar to the doors of this desk?

Could someone help me find a cutter, similiar to the doors of this desk?

Hey Guys,

I'm just a hobbyist woodworker who's made a few things around the house... but now I am getting requests for inlaws and extended family to make things.

Mother in law just asked if I could make her a desk, showed this picture:

First thing, I would skip the inlay design on the top (she doesnt care about that) and probably make it just a plain top.

I am trying to find a shaper cutter (1.25" spindle) that would cut rails and stiles like you see on the doors, as well as the center fixed opening.

I am pretty new to shaper cutters. The only cutter I have used much is a CMT Rabetting cutterhead (and its really nice with those little nicking blades....) Is there a cutter that will do rails like the image, or is this entering into the realm of those weird re-configurable cutters?

I am hoping to be able to find something not too expensive. If there's something cheaper for the router table I'd consider that as well since I don't see myself re-using this particular rail/style on my own furniture (I tend to like a much cleaner design than this desk). I think its going to be difficult to make this thing cheaper than 400 bucks if I have to buy an expensive cutterhead.

thanks for any tips.

also, she wants it made out of hard pine.... I've never used hard pine but how is it to work with?

These doors appear to be mitered, somewhat more difficult to build than a typical style and rail door.

For short run jobs like this it is difficult to find a better value than the moulder head with replaceable knives. Here is the Grizzly version for an example. http://www.grizzly.com/products/3-Mo...w-1-Bore/G2606

A better option would be a steel head, the Grizzly is aluminum. Either way you can purchase pre-made knives or have custom knives ground. Make sure that the knives and the head are compatible Grizzly knives are 1/4" thick most steel heads take 5/16" thick knives.
    I make dirt out of woodworking tools.

Ryan,
    I can't provide any additional sources for cutters other than the ones most are familiar with. But, my experience, at least with the projects I have done for relatives and immediate family, is that they are not as particular as we tend to be on ourselves to match something. I don't know your mother-in-law, but I would propose that as long as the molding is similar, she will not have a problem with it. She will probably like it better anyway since you made it for her. Having said that, I would look for a design that is similar but that you think you may use in the future. That way its not a one-time use purchase. My experience with my wife is that she likes the design/layout of the furniture, color, and hardware. She doesn't care about the construction or decorations, but if the stain is not close to what she had in mind or she doesn't like the hardware, its a show-stopper. My mother-in-law, on the otherhand, likes all the ornate stuff and inlay. I'm not skilled enough for that.

Looks like a good project. Being an engineer, I like where the artistic part is figured out for me and I get to figure out how to build it. Good Luck.

Mike

The rails and stiles look like they're just applied molding on a backer panel rather than traditionally made 5-piece doors. If you go that route, Freeborn has some door edge cutters that look sorta similar. I'd try Charles Schmidt in New Jersey: http://www.cggschmidt.com

I've needed a few custom profiles and the best I have found are at WMoore Profiles 800.228.8151. Ask to speak to Stephen, he is first rate to work with.

You will have two choices, a custom three wing or buying a cutter head and using custom inserts. I had to go with a custom three wing once and they are very pricey. A cutter head will cost but it's a one time purchase and the custom inserts I've bought are generally $75.

I second Peter's reply. It looks like molding attached to a panel. I don't think you'll find a single router bit to match that but you may be able to create the molding with several different bits with several passes. This is easiest to do with a pin router setup. FWW 227 has a good article on how to build one as well as how to make just about any kind of molding with it.

thanks for the tips. cant believe I didn't notice those corners are mitered....

looks like I can get the grizzly moulder head and profiles for the cheapest. around 100 bucks with the head and knives.

The freeborn cutters are sweet. I found one that looks perfect and would also do traditional rail and stile (just different cutter heigths I suppose), but it will cost 400 bucks. But the cutters themselves would do more. http://www.cggschmidt.com/store/prod...p?prod=PT10015

oops, guess I will look around at other moulding heads. The grizzly only comes in 1" and 3/4" as far as I could tell.

missed your post as well William. Thanks. I guess give those guys a call over at WMoore Profiles.

That moulding looks similar to window casing. Maybe you could find a pre-made version and skip that part of the diy aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    The rails and stiles look like they're just applied molding on a backer panel rather than traditionally made 5-piece doors. If you go that route, Freeborn has some door edge cutters that look sorta similar. I'd try Charles Schmidt in New Jersey: http://www.cggschmidt.com
    I agree. And, you might just find some comparable molding off the shelf (maybe stack two profiles?) and mount them on flat backs; however, if you are like me and like to get new tools, good luck with the hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Brucks View Post
    I found one that looks perfect and would also do traditional rail and stile (just different cutter heigths I suppose), but it will cost 400 bucks. But the cutters themselves would do more. http://www.cggschmidt.com/store/prod...p?prod=PT10015
    Any of those profiles will really look a lot nicer than the doors in that picture above. Much better proportions.

looks like a "classic" profile to me. Kind of an inverse ogee with a shoulder in the middle. Freud makes a rail and stile set with them as do most mfg. of cutters.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

For $399.99 my MIL would get the one in the picture

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    For $399.99 my MIL would get the one in the picture
    ROFPMS. Seriously Johnny, I just spit out my dinner. Ditto, My MIL would get the matching coffee table too at that price. What she would not get is a piece that cost me $575 in tools and 75 man hours! Not that I don't love her, we all love her, but people are busy.

Seriously though, Ryan, I'd get a molding head to make something like a picture molding or small casement. Grizzly has the knives pretty cheap, something like http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-Ca...ad-Knife/G2332 might work, they have others. I got my molding head (an industrial Leitz that takes up to 3/8" steel and thick carbide tipped inserts) from Oella Saw. I think they are under $200 reconditioned. The knives are available form lots of sources, you may be able to order a stock molding in a similar pattern cheaper from some online millwork suppliers, but if you often make moldings or plan to having a corrugated back molding head is a great addition to your shaper tooling collection.