Thread: Am I starting out right?

Am I starting out right?

This is my first visit to this side of the creek. I have never used a lathe before (well, maybe a few times in shop class a LONG time ago). But, I have always wanted to give it a try. I especially like bowls. I can see myself turning spindles for furniture, small bowls and maybe some pens. I just purchased a Rikon 70-050VS lathe ($249 on sale at Highland Woodworking, normally $429). I also just bought a book by Raffan. My plan is to start out easy, maybe a few pens, so I bought a dvd on pen making. I plan on getting a set of (3) Benjamin's Best chisels from PSI which consists of a 3/8" gouge, a 1/2" oval skew and 1/8" parting tool. I will also need a mandrel and some supplies (glue, etc.) and some pen kits. I hope to take a class on pen turning and, once I get some experience, bowl turning. I know I will need other things before turning bowls and spindles, but I wanted to start out slowly and make sure I like turning before I purchase a lot more accessories. Am I starting out right or do you think I should be doing things differently? I appreciate your suggestions.

Dick

sounds good so far Dick. Only other suggestion, seek out local club to hook up with someone for some advice and tutoring to get up to speed safely and effectively.
    Welcome and look forward to seeing your work as you proceed. Be sure to sign and date that first piece!
    Oh..sounds like great deal on the Rikon too!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Dick,

The 3/8" gouge that you have is most likely a spindle gouge ( fairly shallow) and not a bowl gouge (heavy section with deep groove). The 3 tools will allow you to do pens and also to practice on some spindle work. A lot of instructors will tell you to work on your spindle turning before going to bowls to lean the technique of tool control presenting the edge and riding the bevel. You can do a lot of spindle practice with some 2x2 about 6 to 8" long construction grade material and the drive center and live center that should have come with the lathe. You will need to get a decent 3/8" bowl gouge when you get ready to tackle a bowl. Getting in a turning group (and finding a mentor) is one of the best things you can do. Keep us posted on your progress - we all have been there.
    Last edited by Thomas Canfield; 07-27-2012 at 9:51 PM. Reason: added getting a mentor

Best look into a 4 jaw chuck if interested in bowls, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinehart View Post
    seek out local club to hook up with someone for some advice and tutoring
    Highly agree with Tim's suggestion and I would also suggest that you do this BEFORE you start buying tools. Most of us buy tools that we think we will need and then once we actually start turning find out that those particular tools were not needed at all. Club members will be able to help steer you in the right directions and may even be able to help save you some money! Have fun!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

sounds like you are going in the right direction. Make some spindles first..get the feel of turning..then do pens..one step at a time. Use Youtube ..there are many videos on how to start turning. Have fun most of all!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Dick, you are going in the right direction, but keep in mind that it can be a long journey. It can be $fun, $rewarding, and $entertaining. It could provide you with some useful items for the home, and for other peoples' homes. It may even get you a small $return to help pay for tools and consumables. I first bought the Benjamin's Best and other tools from PSI after trying to use an old beater set of Craftsman tools, and as time went on and my results improved, I upgraded to more expensive but better quality accessories. If you find that you like turning, then this will probably not be your last lathe, nor your only tools. I started out with a 40 year old Craftsman momotube and rarely used it for 20 years, then got the bug and started using it winter of 2009. By March 2009 I got a Nova 16-44, and in March 2011 I sprung for a Powermatic 3520b. I hope that you can enjoy turning, and are able to upgrade as time goes by.

Welcome! It is a wonderful world of skilled turners who can't wait to share their experiences. Join your local club and jump in. Then put enough money aside for a couple of lessons. Lesson 1 to learn the basics and lesson 2 to reinforce lesson 1, fix the bad habits you formed in practicing and to answer questions you did not know to ask in lesson 1.

Enjoy! It is a wonderful experience.

All the best, Tom, skill thanking his first teacher, Bill Berry, from the Houston turning club.
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.