Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you keep the shavings out of your shoes?

How do you keep the shavings out of your shoes?

There must be a strategy. I have always worn tennis shoes/sneakers in the shop, but now that I am turning, the shavings get between my shoes and socks. They poke and this drives me crazy.

Any solutions?
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Simple... don't wear shoes...
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    I knew SOMEBODY would make that suggestion!
    Regards,

Glen

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    It's a good thing he didn't ask how to keep the shavings out of his pant pockets..... .........

Crocs. They're good for standing on hard surfaces and make for easy cleanup while giving you more protection than sandals.

Just don't wear them out in public...you may or may not look ridiculous.

Get some Gators from and outdoor store, we use them for desert and snow to keep the sand and snow out of our boots.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

i wear my redwing work boots, and im normally wearing dickies that cover the top of the shoe. and as for pockets, get a long shirt
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

I like the Crocks idea, especially if they offer support. All my shoes including work boots have that fuzzy nylon lining. The chips and sawdust not only stick to it but is impossible to totality remove. I have gaters but they are too hot for warm weather. Fortunately, I have a saint for a wife and she allows me to continue to live despite dragging dust from the shop.
    faust

I don't know if DD was kidding or serious, but I do turn barefoot in the summer. I wear sandals all summer and get tired of cleaning the shavings out of them, so I take them off before turning. Not something OSHA would bless, but I've never gotten anything worse than a sliver.

Yup, barefoot or flipflops mostly. Ya really gotta watch your toes though, but that's what I do year round.

"I don't know if DD was kidding or serious..."

Are you kidding? Seriously... I have been accused of having my tongue stuck firmly in my cheek and that's probably very true. But when it comes to shoes, I'm dead serious! I hate em! Some people think I'm weird because I like being barefoot but that's tough! I go barefoot whenever possible and I usually work barefoot. When I ran a big commercial shop, I had to wear boots because OSHA was always popping up and my employees needed a "good example" and all that. But as soon as I got home, the boots came off and these days, I just keep a pair of sandals by the door that I slip on if I'm going anywhere. Around the house and in the yard and at the lathe... no shoes. Yes... you have to watch your toes and not step on anything like nails and broken glass and stuff like that. So if I lived in a junkyard, maybe I'd have to change my ways. Around here, there's not much of a threat outside of dropping something on my foot but I like a bit of uncertainty in my life anyway. Keeps things from getting boring. Or should I say "keeps me on my toes"?
    David DeCristoforo

Glenn, don't know if you are going to SWAT in Waco or not, but there is a lady that sells turning smocks and things that go around your ankles to keep what you describe from happening. Think she is from Tyler.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

I use to turn barefoot or in flip flops until I had one to many slips on shavings. The floor to my shop is polished concrete, so until I wise up and buy a padded rubber mat to stand on, I need a little slip resistance on my shoes. Crocs do the trick...unfortunately the price on them has increased a bit recently. But, it's hard to beat a shoe that BLO will run off of when I drip all over.

No Shoes works for me but then its warm in Sydney .

local landscapers and the lawn mowing contractors us these.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    neil

The wooden Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Winship View Post
    Glenn, don't know if you are going to SWAT in Waco or not, but there is a lady that sells turning smocks and things that go around your ankles to keep what you describe from happening. Think she is from Tyler.
    Yep. I'll be there. Thanks for the heads-up Tom!
    Regards,

Glen