Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you keep the shavings out of your shoes?

if you are barefoot, be very sure where you placed your feet and your doctor will thank you

Redwing pull on work boots. I hate going barefoot, my wife says she's never met anyone that wears shoes from the time I get up until it's time for bed. I don't think I could stand the shavings around my bare feet.
    Dislocated New Mexican.
    Critiques always welcome.

Chuck taylor High tops! works for me!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

4. I wear regular shoes.........slip on style, no shoestring...........I wear jeans or long pants that I wear everyday...........I don't usually have issues with curlees in the shoes. I guess the pants legs serve like the gators mentioned above.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Yeah, I wear jeans in the summer so it pretty much keeps the curlies out of my Chuck Taylor's
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Crocs are the way too go! Of course once school lets out for the summer, it's shorts/tshirt/ & crocs every day. It doesn't matter if I'm turning or running around, the dress code is the same... I may put on a t-shirt that is not covered in ca spots if I'm going out somewhere.
    Billy

Flip-flops in the summer... light weight athletic shoes when its cold out. Maybe it is wearing jeans during the cold times that helps keep shavings out of my shoes/socks but it has never been a major problem for me.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    Simple... don't wear shoes...
    I used to do that until a slip with a gouge pulled it out of my hand and into my foot. Luckily, it just sliced a toe and didn't remove it, but that toe now has two nails instead of one!
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Jeans year round over high-top water resistant Danner work shoes. Never had any problems with dust or chips.

"The best things in life are not things."

This is what I was referring to, which I call Gators.
    Quote Originally Posted by neil mackay View Post
    No Shoes works for me but then its warm in Sydney .

local landscapers and the lawn mowing contractors us these.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Flip-flops in the summer... light weight athletic shoes when its cold out. Maybe it is wearing jeans during the cold times that helps keep shavings out of my shoes/socks but it has never been a major problem for me.
    Keeping the shavings out of the shag carpet... now that's a whole other ordeal!

I always wear shorts in the summer so got the SWMBO to make me some gators that wrap on with velcro. I wear some inexpensive low rise hiking style shoes with heavy soles that provide pretty good support for standing on your feet. Its never happened but the idea of a gouge landing on my toe seems like a risk I would rather mitigate with some shoes rather than go barefoot. I have never been hit full face with an exploding bowl either but still wear a face shield to mitigate the risks.
    God is great and life is good!

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Forget the shoes; I have several female students who can't keep the chips from ending up in their bras. Makes for some interesting wiggles during a session as they try to work it through.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

I'm with you Mike, I've dropped enough stuff on my toes already.

I use Merrill shoes. They have a couple of styles with elastic tops on the low cut shoes. The elastic forms around the bottom of the ankle and keep 98% of the chips out of my the shoes. The only caveat is that they are insulated and some are water proof. They can get warm in the summer. They are very comfortable and support the foot well. They are not cheap. I have two pair I picked up in an outlet mall. One was $85 and one with a thicker lug type sole was $110. They are a winter type shoe made to keep the snow out of the shoe, so they are not always available in the summer months.The tops look like this but mine are suede.
    Snapz Pro XScreenSnapz029.jpg
    Member Illiana Woodturners