Thread: Slow speed grinder recomendation

Slow speed grinder recomendation

Now that I bought the Wolverine grinding jig & the Vari-grind to go with it I need a 8'' grinder....What would you recommend keeping in mind I don't have deep pockets. I don't even have the lathe yet. I haven't been able to go get it yet & I've already spent a extra 200.00 for extras I think I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jolliffe View Post
    Now that I bought the Wolverine grinding jig & the Vari-grind to go with it I need a 8'' grinder....What would you recommend keeping in mind I don't have deep pockets. I don't even have the lathe yet. I haven't been able to go get it yet & I've already spent a extra 200.00 for extras I think I need.
    Find something nicer used (maybe a baldor or ??) if you get lucky or wait for the woodcraft 8" to go on sale. Value wise I think the woodcraft probably still the best deal. Its 10% off this weekend at $113, but I've seen it go as low as $99 (no guarantee it will again of course). The stones that come with it are perfectly adequate if not the best possible.

I bought a delta 8" V speed , its wasn't what I would like to have but it what I could afford. It has worked out so far 3 years now, did a up grade in one wheel after a year . no plans to change.

Second the recommendation on the Woodcraft grinder. If you can find a used Baldor at a good price that would be great, but most sellers recognize that they hold their value and it is hard to find them at a price anywhere close to a new Woodcraft.

I've set up a lot of grinders for turners. Either the Woodcraft grinder or the Delta variable speed will work well. If you have any problems with vibration and wheel wobble do a search on SMC and you'll find several occasions where I described the procedures to correct these problems.

It's not necessary to spend the $ to buy a Baldor. Besides, they too can suffer from the same problems.

Don Geiger

No matter which one you get or what wheels you buy, you can still expect to have to fiddle around with rotating your bushings or trying several different bushings to get a perfect no bounce, no wobble set up. If you use stone wheels, buy a good truing jig, like Don' Geiger sells and you will get as proficient as you need to be at sharpening. A tiny bit of bounce is irritating but can still allow you to do a good job sharpening. Spend your money on tools, not grinders and your time turning, not fiddling with your grinder and you will learn to turn quickly.
    faust

Quote Originally Posted by Don Geiger View Post
    I've set up a lot of grinders for turners. Either the Woodcraft grinder or the Delta variable speed will work well. If you have any problems with vibration and wheel wobble do a search on SMC and you'll find several occasions where I described the procedures to correct these problems.

It's not necessary to spend the $ to buy a Baldor. Besides, they too can suffer from the same problems.

Don Geiger
    Check out this thread for Don's specific directions for the correct setup.