Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pocket jig screws?

Tennant Creek , Northern Territory, Australia.

Pocket jig screws?

At a weak moment I bought a Kreg pocket hole jig and wonder what type and sizes of screw would make a good selection.

I know fine threads are for hard wood and course threads are for soft wood,
    but what is the advantages/ disadvantages of the Pan Head and Maxi-Loc heads on the screws?

http://www.carbatec.com.au/kreg-maxi...ll-bits_c21285

http://www.carbatec.com.au/kreg-fine...-screws_c21288

Hi Mark,

I just buy the kreg screws. I think the larger the head the better. However, I only use the course screws. I have never had any luck with with the fine screws.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eisen View Post
    At a weak moment I bought a Kreg pocket hole jig and wonder what type and sizes of screw would make a good selection.

I know fine threads are for hard wood and course threads are for soft wood,
    but what is the advantages/ disadvantages of the Pan Head and Maxi-Loc heads on the screws?

http://www.carbatec.com.au/kreg-maxi...ll-bits_c21285

http://www.carbatec.com.au/kreg-fine...-screws_c21288
    Mark,

I have some pan head screws but never use them. I always reach for the maxi-loc. More bearing surface on the maxi-loc. The sizes you need depends on the thickness of the material being joined. I join 3/4 ply most of the time so I use the maxi-loc, 1 1/4", course thread. You should have gotten materials with your jig that tells you what screw to use with what thickness of material. I have a few 1" and a few 1 1/2" to use in special situations where I am having to drill the hole in a less than optimum location (not to Kreg specs). Hope this helps.

Jack

I use a lot out Kreg screws in every size up to 3". Maxis are the best, except in a few special situations. Forget the fine threads, coarse will always do the job , but fines won't.

Pan head have smaller diameter shanks - less prone to splitting extremely hard (read that as expensive exotic) wood.
    @ least that's what Kreg says - check out their website.

I use mostly coarse, but. will use fine thread on occasion.
    I've found that since switching over to tightining the fine threads by hand, instead of using a power driver, all my problems of them not holding disappeared.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 07-28-2012 at 8:27 AM.

Thanks for your answers, so course maxi-loc is the way to go mostly.

Would this be a good selection of screws?

Materials Screws

½" 1"
    ¾" 1¼"
    1" 1½"
    1½" 2½"

Would this be a good selection of screws?
    That's appropriate - according to Kreg's website.
    Whether or not it's good - all depends on what you use the jig for.
    I keep a good stock of 1 1/4" on hand in both coarse and fine since that's the size I use most often.

I do have the luxury of having a Lowes 5 min away though should I need any other size.

Mark,

I have those you listed except for the 2 1/2". The most commonly used for me, for pocket holes, are the coarse 1 1/4", and 1 1/2". I have the coarse 1" that a friend gave me, and I use them every now and then for a variety of things, not pocket holes.

Sam

I only have the pan heads in 1" to use for joining 1/2" material at right angles, the maxi lock heads are too large for that. I use the maxi lock for every thing else. I have a big box of 1 1/4" coarse thread, for jointing plywood to plywood and most FF work. I have a medium box of fine threads for harder species where coarse tends to split. And I have a big box of 2 1/2" for putting in 2X4 blocking, I love pocket screws for this, better than using a framing nailer for retrofits and remodels. I've used these to make crates and a variety of odd things. In the other sizes, I have a few small boxes purchased to serve a specific purpose, but most of my joinery with wood thicker than 3/4" involves something other than pocket screw. So the ideal selection really depends on how you will use the jig. I've had the jig more than 5 years and used less than 250 1 1/2" screws, but have gone through several 1000 boxes of the 1 1/4" coarse.

I saw Lowe's had a selection of 1", 1 1/4", and 2 1/2" screws available in a kit--what you might do is buy the kit (under $30) and see what you need/use the most.

The " Maxi Lock " are I think what I call the pan head.. I much prefer them to the other head..
    I use Kreg screws for everything .. I love them .. I will counter sink if I need the screw head below the surface..

I rarely use fine thread, don't see the point .. I prefer coarse no matter how hard the wood it ..

For me,

1-1/4 = 50%
    1-1/2 = 30%
    1" = 6 %
    2" = 6 %
    2-1/2"= 4 %
    3/4" = 4 %

Hope that adds up to 100% ..

Also love the kreg bits.. I have a whole bunch of them in a drawer.. Use them for all #2 Robertson applications.

I'd recommend just buying a small box of 1-1/4" course screws to get yourself started. Now you may indeed come up with a need for other sizes....at which point you buy them

I buy the 1-1/4" screws in bulk and over the years have picked up a couple small boxes of other sizes that I'll use very, very, infrequently. Having used pocket holes for over 10 years now, and owned a pocket machine for 2 years, I can honestly say I've very rarely used 3 of the sizes you have listed, actually I don't think I've ever used the 2-1/2" screw? Of course your mileage will vary depending on your projects. I just wouldn't want to invest money in something that may sit on your shelf and possibly never get used???

good luck,
    JeffD

Most everything I do is 3/4" material. I use a lot of the Hi-Lo 1-1/4" screws and some course thread screws if I have them. I did have to go to fine thread screws for some hard maple face frames. The Hi-LOs and course thread screws were spliting the face frame stiles when joining the top/bottom rails. The fine thread screws with parafin wax on them completely eliminated the problem. I would get the Hi-Lo or course thread then buy the fine thread as needed.

Mike

Thanks for your Answers every one, I will start with coarse 1-1/4" and buy other sizes as if I need them.

I picked up an assortment set after I purchesed a K3. http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-SK03-Pock...pr_product_top I usually use the 1 1/4" for most things, and the 2 1/2" when working with 2x material. The assortment pack has been nice to have on hand for when another size needs comes up. It also keeps all my pocket hole screws organized in one place.