Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flip Stops - Home Made

Flip Stops - Home Made

Getting ready to build a miter saw station and am looking for ideas on home made flip stops. I have looked at a couple of commercial ones but they seem to have just a little wiggle to them for the most part.

Any pictures?

Other ideas on this subject are appreciated.

Thanks,
    JimE

PS: Yes, I did search.

Jim - I know someplace that just happens to have those on sale for 15% off this weekend. Since your coming back to get the crank neck chisels you might as well pick some up and save some time! The less time you spend making them the more time you have to take a nap. Just thinking out loud...

Chris

Jim,

When I was building my miter saw station, I had the same problem. However, I did find good ones at Rockler. They are Rockler brand, Blue in color. The Kreg stops had to much slop it seamed. The Rockler brand are solid. I think they were like $14.00.

Sam

Blog Entries
    Oh man, when I saw the title of this thread I thought it was about someone making wooden flip-flops. Guess I better wake up and clean my glasses...

"Any pictures?"
    Steel rod held fast with set screws (backside of holder) and a stainless threaded rod for fine adjust.
    Adaptable to any stop app. No squigglies or deflection.

A far more mundane version - more wood and less metal (1/4" steel pivot rod)...
    http://home.roadrunner.com/~jeffnann...nces_and_Stops
    Also no wiggles (or squiggles).
    I've measured three times, cut twice, and it's STILL too short...

Sam - Do you use the 3" version. No wiggle??

I saw the Kreg set up at a ww show and gave it a little side to side test. Great idea, just needs refining. I don't want to bump a board against the stop figuring I cut it three foot long only to find out later I cut a half dozen three foot boards that are all 1/16" over. I can get better results with a piece of board and a clamp

Jeff - Is that the system you use? ........with success??

Chris - I'll see ya at Rockler?

Thanks,
    JimE

Like Jeff, I use a simple T slot in the FACE of my home made fence. I cut the stop to fit just touching the table, then put a simple masonite piece on the top of the stop as a secondary way to keep it from twisting. 5/16 toilet bolt with plastic wing nut, and bevel the corner just a bit for sawdust clearance. Works great for the last six or seven years....no slop.

Rick Potter

PS: Make a bunch of fence material as long as you are putting a slot in it. Cut a dado, then finish it with the T-slot bit, it's much easier on the bit. Make it taller than youi need, then cut it off the bottom side to fit various size fences. You will find uses for the extra fence material. I have used it on the RAS, router table, drill press, and various miter gage type fixtures. Cost.....just about nuthin.

Jim,

Yes they are the 3" version. No wiggle. I did the same thing as you with the Kreg ones. At several shows, I saw them and liked them. However, everyone had play in it. The Rockler ones are cheaper, and they are wiggle free. However, I would not slam my wood into them. They are accurate.

I can set the Rockler clamp where I want it. Then I flip it up to get it out of my way, so I can get a square cut on one end of my board. Turn the board around, flip the stop down, and cut to size. I usually have a couple of stops set on my fence. Just flip them up to get them out of your way.

Rick's clamps are very good as well. Solid, and no wiggle.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Eller View Post
    Jeff - Is that the system you use? ........with success??
    You sound incredulous - those stops fit onto multiple fences I made, and are plenty sturdy - with no play in the flip stop. I've since made a couple more with different angles on the reference face for accurately cutting pieces with angled ends.
    I've measured three times, cut twice, and it's STILL too short...

This is my version:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ock&highlight=

Not fancy, but works quite well.

Jeff - I'M A BELIEVER!! I'M A BELIEVER!! I didn't realize that link was your site.

Dave - Thanks. Looks like another alternative. I'm not going to ask you how successful it was

Thanks to all.

JimE

I made a pair of these. They are a direct rip-off of a commercially available model and not for sale.

Now that is a great stop Harvey. I really like the ability to micro adjust.

Great job, Sam

I like that Harvey. I struggle with wood, I don't know what I would do trying it with metal.